Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

A way around the distilling is to freeze it out

If you make up anything with alcohol in it; wine, hard cider, mash, whatever just freeze it and then strain out the ice.

What business is it that we're in? <g>
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    I'm with ya ! That apple pie was smooth. Did that jar get finished in Coloradie ?
    I'm pretty sure. There wasn't too much of anything with alcohol left when we were through in Ft Morgan.

I guess moonshione is out of style so........
    WINE ANYONE?
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

I built the still from a quarter keg and some copper pipe, haven’t had the chance to used yet, here a very good site http://homedistiller.org/

I made 25 gallons of wine this year, wife and I picked, crushed and pressed the grapes, I raked it for a second time last week, took a little sample and so far so good, it ll be ready around eastern.

I love home brewing it is a great hobby and the end result is alway nice too

Hey pope want to swap bottles this easter?

Did that jar get finished in Coloradie ?

I dont know but that was goooooooood Sh%t.............

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    I love home brewing it is a great hobby and the end result is alway nice too

Hey pope want to swap bottles this easter?
    sure, what kind of wine you made? mine is red on the dry side.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    sure, what kind of wine you made? mine is red on the dry side.
    Strawberry
    Its bitter but should sweeten up

Is there anyone can kindly teach me how to make red wine at home? why do i need to distill it cause i read thru the net and it says just leave it in a wooden or stainless steel container... thanks...

No distilling for wine -

Crush the grapes into the primary fermentor. Fill the fermentor about 2/3 full. Remove about 80 percent of stems.

Add sulfite crystals to fermentor at the rate of about 0.1 gram of sulfite powder per liter. Dissolve into 1 cup of warm water and stir into fermentor using a wooden or plastic spoon. Then let it all sit for 2 hours.

Check the brix #. It should be around 22 to 24 degrees, depending on the variety of grapes used. If the Brix # is lower than 21 degrees, add some sugar to the juice.

Check and adjust acid level of juice - use an acid-test kit: you can get them at a wine making supply place. Acid content should be about 5.5 to 6.5 g/liter.

Check temperature of must (juice) and adjust if necessary. Temperature should be 70 to 75 degrees F You can raise the temperature with a heating pad. You can lower temp by inserting a cool inert object, a bag of ice, or by setting the fermentor into a deep pan of cold water.

When the proper Brix, acid level, and temperature are reached, dissolve 1 gram yeast pellets in 1 cup of warm water for every gallon liters of must. Let yeast solution sit for 10 minutes, then add to fermentor.

Cover fermentor with cheesecloth. And then check it after 24 hours. Bubbles and gurgling noises indicate good fermentation.
    As fermentation takes place, the temperature will rise, which is acceptable.

Stir once morning and night to keep the cap wet. The cap is the top layer of seeds and grape skins.

Check Brix daily. There should be an average drop of about 2 degrees in Brix.

When the cap stops pushing up to the top or when Brix is around 0 degrees, press the wine into gallon jugs and attach a fermentation lock. Save the cap pulp to top up after initial racking.

When the sediment drops out, rack, and top up with pulp. Add sulfite. Add your fining material right after racking, or a little later, when the wine is clear. Continue racking as necessary.

Depending on the variety of grapes used; age for appropriate amount of time and then bottle. Bottle age for the appropriate amount of time.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Or to begin you could buy a kit of wine conceatrate. Everything's there except the hardware.
    I've done this a couple times.Not as rewarding as from scratch but will teach you the ropes.
    We've got a kit store here but they are probably on line.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlaltdel View Post
    Is there anyone can kindly teach me how to make red wine at home? why do i need to distill it cause i read thru the net and it says just leave it in a wooden or stainless steel container... thanks...
    I dont use wood or stainless
    I use 5 gallon office water cooler type jugs they are easy to come by and sterile plus 5 gallon batches are more forgiving
    you dont need a still for wine
    I do recomend getting good at wine before you try anything else.

If you want to go the easy way just start with grapes, sugar, water and yeast.
    fill the bucket 2/3 with grapes then crush them down until all skins are broken
    add sugar this is a prefrence more sugar more sweet less sugar more bitter.
    add warm water to make yeild I fill mine 3.5 to 4 gallons mark on bucket
    ` make sure to leave room for expantion `
    stir until sugar is dissolved
    add 1 package of wine makers yeast
    or like 5 packs of bread yeast -note bread yeast gives a very different outcome you might not like-
    once you add the yeast transfer to the water cooler and seal with a trap
    again you can get a nice store bought one
    or make one from pvc fittings

In 3 months syphon into a bucket then strain through coffee filters
    transfer to bottles to age
    but drink 1 or to glasses to make sure its worth ageing
    it sould yeild between 12 and 16 % alcohol
    and make 3 gallons

I figure this is the easyest way
    they didnt have all this fancy chemicals in the old days
    and If I wanted a commercial tasting wine I would go to the store and buy it like someone else already said

Good luck make a batch and I will trade you

shine

I do like to SIP shine, in very small amounts, and have optained some home-brew stuff but found a brand at the local spirts store that is 130 proof and doesnt have the bite that some over the counter stuff does, its called kentucky shine, they have a quart bottle that is 90 pr. and a smalled bottle thats 130 , so if you want a sipper try this for 15 bucks its worth having to avoid the chance of having the real stuff around, keep it to replenish the strawberrys in it,
    If you build it they will come,,,they built it and they went.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast