Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    you will only get about half a gallon of shine from a five gallon run
    Two Hydrogen atoms met one day. One said to the other "I've lost my electron". The second said "Are you sure?" The first said "Yes, I'm positive".

"Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    Wow almost 11 grand for a 220 gal still. I guess one would have to have a lot of friends and weekly parties.
    Learning is a lifelong process

Quote Originally Posted by stomper56 View Post
    Got a recipe or any idea where to get the super high gravity yeast?
    http://morebeer.com/view_product/198...gh_Gravity_Ale

I think that with this the game is just see how much sugar you can ferment without getting the fermentation stuck. You're probably talking over $100 of malt per batch of 5 gallons. You can substitute corn sugar to 20% of the batch for some cost savings that will have little affect on flavor. You can go more than that but it won't be beer anymore.

I haven't played with this strain yet, though I would like to. In the end, it's fun to make this stuff as a hobby, but in the long run it's much cheaper to just go to the liquor store. You'll spend way more on ingredients, equipment and time making it yourself. But you will have the satisfaction of having done it yourself and getting the exact flavors you prefer. That's the reason I got into homebrew.

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    Just asking?
    Anybody got some recipes?
    I've got a nice recipe, pm me, five gallons makes a gallon.

Primitive set up, but it works real good.

Quote Originally Posted by ambarton View Post
    you will only get about half a gallon of shine from a five gallon run
    thats not true
    I get a quart of heads and 2 sometimes 3 quarts of tails off every run
    Not to mention the 4 or 6 quarts that come up for me and I run 5 gallons everytime.
    Either you need to work on your design or you might want to try a different recipe
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mlstark View Post
    I've got a nice recipe, pm me, five gallons makes a gallon.

Primitive set up, but it works real good.
    I sent you the PM but why not just post it here for others to try?
    This is the food and grill forum

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    I have used a few recipes from them
    The welchs grape works good but I am not impressed with the others

Quote Originally Posted by stomper56 View Post
    Got a recipe or any idea where to get the super high gravity yeast?
    Local wine shops carry fermiters yeast just say your making wine for cooking

Quote Originally Posted by scottsacavsfan View Post
    I sent you the PM but why not just post it here for others to try?
    This is the food and grill forum
    Family secret.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    You should have been at the convention in Winston-Salem. Ain't saying who brought it. But man that was smooooth. Also had some with apple in it. It tasted like drinking mom's apple pie.

I think if you can get Southern Girl's attention I bet she could fix you up with a recipe.

I'm with ya ! That apple pie was smooth. Did that jar get finished in Coloradie ?
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

It's perfectly legal to make wine. It's the distilling the wine into brandy that is the problem.

You can buy all the distilling equipment you like though. Just tell them you are distilling your own water.

I still say, unless you are making something like 1000 gallon batches out of pure corn sugar, it's cheaper to go to the liquor store. And if you buy that much corn sugar, the ATF will be knocking on your door. If you do it for fun, well then have at you!

Easy Shine -

At the feed store get enough Sweet Feed to fill a five gallon bucket. Sweet feed is a grain blend with some molasses added so it's like cheating. <g>

Use one package of yeast (if you use real distillers yeast it will increase the quality and quantity somewhat)

Buy five pounds sugar

Put about four of five inches of the Sweet Feed into the five gallon bucket.

Then add five pounds of sugar. Fill the bucket half full with boiling water. Stir it until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the feed and then finish filling with warm water.

Add the yeast after it has cooled to the recommended temperature on the yeast label - below eighty degrees

Cover with the lid. Leave the cap loose but not off.

After about five days it will be ready to go.

If you are going to use a pot still (like a converted pressure cooker <g>) then make sure to strain out all the solids. If you don't strain it the solids will settle and burn at the bottom.

The closer you run your still temp to 172 - the purer the alcohol will be. If you run it hotter you will be taking off more water.

If it comes off too clear for you, just char a piece of fruit wood ,like apple, and put that in the shine for a week to color it.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast