Thread: SEER ratings

SEER ratings

thank you all for your help - I'm so new to all of this and your insights have been most helpful.

I'm confused about SEER ratings. My contractor is giving me two packages to choose from:

System #1
    Bryant System: 2-Stage Variable Speed Furnace with 15 SEER A/C
    Furnace: 2-Stage, Variable Speed Evolution Gas Furnace (355BAV042060)
    Condenser: 15 SEER Legacy Air Conditioner (124ANA030)
    Indoor Coil: Bryant R-410A (Puron)
    Thermostat: Bryant Evolution Control
    Warranty: 10 Year Parts Warranty
    High Efficiency 4” Media Filter system (no charge)

System #2
    Bryant System: 2-Stage Variable Speed Furnace with 14 SEER A/C
    Furnace: 2-Stage, Variable Speed Evolution Gas Furnace (355BAV042060)
    Condenser: 14 SEER Legacy Air Conditioner (123ANA030)
    Indoor Coil: Bryant R-410A (Puron)
    Thermostat: Bryant Evolution Control
    Warranty: 10 Year Parts Warranty
    High Efficiency 4” Media Filter system (no charge)

My question: When I look at the manufacturer website the 14 SEER Legacy Air Conditioner (123ANA030) is actually rated at 13 SEER. When I asked my contractor about it his response was that when paired with the above furnace it achieves 14 SEER. I am confused.

SEER ratings are over rated and deceiving

SEER ratings don't mean crap, but help (I should say deceive) the consumer when comparing efficiency among manufacturers.

There's not much difference in EER (energy efficiency ratio that engineers use to evaluate cooling efficiency to energy input) between a 13 seer and 20 seer system. For example, a geothermal systems approach 30 EER, which is roughly 2.5 times more efficient than the 20 SEER crap on the market.

Similary, COP (coefficient of performance) is used by engineers to evaluate the efficiency of heating output to energy input -- a geothermal heat pump, for example, will approach 5.0, which is not that different from 3.0 COP's in air-source heat pumps(electric heating has a COP of 1).

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    SEER ratings don't mean crap, but help (I should say deceive) the consumer when comparing efficiency among manufacturers.

There's not much difference in EER (energy efficiency ratio that engineers use to evaluate cooling efficiency to energy input) between a 13 seer and 20 seer system. Conversely, a geothermal systems approach 30 EER, which is roughly 2.5 times more efficient than the 20 SEER crap on the market.

Similary, COP (coefficient of performance) is used by engineers to evaluate the efficiency of heating output to energy input -- a geothermal heat pump, for example, will approach 5.0, which is not that different from 3.0 COP's in air-source heat pumps(electric heating has a COP of 1).
    I think if he was a little confused before he is really confused now lol

Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

nice -- lol

I feel like that sometimes on repair calls...lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by praha99 View Post
    I think if he was a little confused before he is really confused now lol

There's not much difference in EER (energy efficiency ratio that engineers use to evaluate cooling efficiency to energy input) between a 13 seer and 20 seer system. For example, a geothermal systems approach 30 EER, which is roughly 2.5 times more efficient than the 20 SEER crap on the market.

What in the world are you talking about ??

How could a COP 5.0 not that different from 3.0 ?

BTW in order to achieve COP 5.0 the Geothermal source gotta be pretty warm. eg. putting the Geothermal coil in a warm/hot water spring would definitely help
    I don't know enough on how some company rated their geothermal cop 5.0

Ask them for the ARI listings number and ratings of the equipment.....

Talking

Yea...That link probably didn't help much. LMAO

Some a/c's are labeled to show their SEER rating when coupled with a PSC blower on a furnace. When that same unit is coupled with a variable speed air handler or furnace motor, the SEER may jump.

As BK said, the VS blower can increase the system SEER by 1.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

A COP of 5 is 66% more output per enegry unit used than a COP of 3. Um, that's a HUGE difference, ace.

I have never seen a ground source heat pump claim an EER of 30 or a COP of 5.0 in design conditions. Those numbers are high for a heat pump on a boiler/chiller loop let alone a ground source system.

And ther's not much difference between 20 SEER and 13 SEER?

What are you talking about?!