Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I love it when other companies keep me busy.

I took these few images from a no heat I ran this morning. The breaker would trip when the furnace came on. Gee, I wonder why...

This furnace's amp draw is 15 amps. Here we have a sump pump plugged into the same receptical as well as other household appliances. I think we exceeded our load here. There also used to be a heat pump here. Why the installing company did not modify this disconnect is beyond me. Putting in a single pole breaker at the main panel and running new wire from the disconnect to the furnace must have been too hard for them.

While we're at it, how am I supposed to get a pipe wrench in there to loosen the union? Don't they know the union is supposed to be outside the unit? I also love how they glued in the air intake at the collector box.

The black duct tape around this gaggle-frack of t-stat wire is so precious.

Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

what in the hell??
    what i also hate to see is duct seal spread all over the F&%$##@!* place.
    how do these places get buy.
    even if i were a builder i would want quality in the homes i built.. i dont get it..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quality in a new home? That costs money, especially in the cheapos they won't spend it.

I've heard conflicting answers, is union in the furnace cabinet OK?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Quality in a new home? That costs money, especially in the cheapos they won't spend it.

Not where I work. Code states that it has to be outside the cabinet.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

What is that thing on the second hole for AC drain pan? Looks like a clean out?
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    What is that thing on the second hole for AC drain pan? Looks like a clean out?
    drain pan overflow switch

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

around here 80% yes, 90% no.

without louvered door they consider it a closed space just like inside a wall.

See that's weird. I always thought the union should be outside but for the past couple years we've been putting them inside. The inspectors here haven't said a word. and just like the pic, it's tight and difficult to install and remove them. But we started doing it to keep homeowners from pissing around with it and teeing into their gas lines.

lucky to find a union here

in the furnace is OK, if its even there lol

commonly find low voltage wire wrapped in black duct tape even outside
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Question duct sealing

Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    what in the hell??
    what i also hate to see is duct seal spread all over the F&%$##@!* place.
    how do these places get buy.
    even if i were a builder i would want quality in the homes i built.. i dont get it..
    I'm confused over this post. Do you have a problem with complying with the code where it requires returns be sealed within 10 ft. of the AHU or are you complaining that they used UL 181 foil tape instead of mastic as they should.

How do you seal your ducts so:
    -it meets code
    -remains an effective seal after yrs of use.?

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    I'm confused over this post. Do you have a problem with complying with the code where it requires returns be sealed within 10 ft. of the AHU or are you complaining that they used UL 181 foil tape instead of mastic as they should.

How do you seal your ducts so:
    -it meets code
    -remains an effective seal after yrs of use.?
    not at all do i have a problem with code. what i have a problem is with the lack of pride in work. these new construction jobs are put together like crap if you ask me. im not saying all of them but all the ones i work on around here are! i mean the duct seal for example. they duct seal the joint and about a foot onto the plenums and furnace. it just looks like crap. so great it passes but at teh end of the day we talk about installation being key and the guy installing the unit is the same guy that says after every job "you cant see it from my house". it just bothers me.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHVAC View Post
    drain pan overflow switch
    That it is, but it's installed UPSIDE DOWN! Aquaguard 3100. Dumb question, but was it connected? I've never tried running one upside down; I'm not sure if it'd affect the operation of the float switch. Some of the other float switches are definitely orientation-sensitive.

Hmm workmanship a lost art?

Pascone, I agree and appreciate the sinking feeling no one gives a hoot about workmanship anymore. No pride.

I think one of the problems with sloppy duct mastic jobs is they HVAC contractor originally did not want to seal the ducts because he normally does not. Now, he has to find the cheapest guy on his crew to do this "menial" work. The kid stuck doing it does not forsee a career in HVAC is only there to make enough beer money for the weekend. Fine, he'll slop it on so it passes. As long as it's good enough to keep his boss off his butt like a diaper, he's satisfied.

Sad commentary on our current state, wouldn't you say?

i will say that companies who regulary seal ducts have figured out how to do it neatly and quicxly yet still meet the specifications such as 6% max. leakage. Short learning curve, when someone gives a hoot and supervises the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast