Whole house filter... is this typical?

I am working with my contractor on a Carrier Infinity system that is producing a recurring "change filter" service notice. This occurs .. or I notice it within days of changing filters. Based on the input I have received previously, it is likely a static pressure problem.

Talked to the contractor and he noted that I have an Aprilaire 5000 whole house air cleaner installed. They included the normal 1" filters at each air return intake which the installer says was an error. He suggested i simply remove the 1" filters from each return and see if that fixes the problem.

Is this a reasonable solution even if it does fix the problem? Should the Aprilaire 5000 be relied on as the sole filtration for the entire system?

Yes, you shouldn't need additional filters at each return. Also have them check what type of filter was chosen during the stat setup.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Yes, Remove the 1" filters. The Aprilaire 5000 is meant to function alone. Doubling the filters up is a bad idea and will cause static pressure issues.

So you have the Aprilaire 5000 right before your indoor unit? If this is the case, it should be the only filter. It is safe to remove the 1" filters at the return inlets. If this is new construction, they might have been put in to keep out more of the typical "construction dust" If you continue to get change filter reminders, there could be a more serious problem.

Thanks all. I know the aprilaire 5000 filter is listed for change annually but I did not know if taking what amounts to 1" prefilters would make this expensive filter a quarterly change. I hope removing the 1" filters from the returns fixes the static pressure problem triggering the constant service notice for the filter.
    The original design was for the April Aire 5000 filter so there is a good chance thats the problem.

Did your installer tell you that the Infinity control along with the Infinity furnace does a daily SP check which is probably why you get the message on a daily basis. If the message appears again dismiss the notice, pull the 1" filters and if you get the message again then there's other problems but this should theorectically fix your problems. Nice system by the way

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by txkevin View Post
    Thanks all. I know the aprilaire 5000 filter is listed for change annually but I did not know if taking what amounts to 1" prefilters would make this expensive filter a quarterly change. I hope removing the 1" filters from the returns fixes the static pressure problem triggering the constant service notice for the filter.
    The original design was for the April Aire 5000 filter so there is a good chance thats the problem.
    The duct system could have been designed to use the prefilters,removing them will shorten the time between changes for the Aprilaire,not really an issue,but it will.

I'd want too know what the static is with the prefilters removed,your contractor can check this easily on the control.

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    The duct system could have been designed to use the prefilters,removing them will shorten the time between changes for the Aprilaire,not really an issue,but it will.

I'd want too know what the static is with the prefilters removed,your contractor can check this easily on the control.
    He indicated the system was not designed with the prefilters and they likely included them out of habit or initially to help with construction dust when it was first started. Since they were there, I have been replaceing them every 2-3 months since. Glad they are there in case the Aprilaire ever break of something, I can go with regular filters I suppose.

I know how to check the static at the controller and did so last night. It shows .62. Now what to do with this info.... I think I have to searching to do...

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    .62 is okay,if the sysytem was in high stage.needs to be checked in high stage,for both heating and cooling.

.62 shouldn't be cauing filter alerts in a matter of days,unless the prefilters are something like 3M filtretes.