Chowder Revisited

I make several kinds of clam chowder but last night I wanted Manhattan as I felt like veggies. ( I know to New Englanders Manhattan isn't real chowder) While my wife doesn't have a weight problem she does watch the carbs.
    So instead of potatoes I substituted a turnip. Diced to 1/2" cubes and put in with the rest.
    I actually think it's better. The sweetness of the turnip helped the chowder develop a broader range.
    I'm not sure what other chowders would be like with this change but I think I'll try and find out.
    Tracers work both ways.

I always sustitute turnips for potatoes in my stews. Same reason.

My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

In my chowder I use heavy cream and salted cod (with clams, potatoes and onions). So I don't think a turnip will make it lo-cal.

But I do like to use turnips in soup and stew. We are in that season ain't we.

Here is a quiz----- Clam Chowder with bacon in it is called, "______________ Clam Chowder"

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    In my chowder I use heavy cream and salted cod (with clams, potatoes and onions). So I don't think a turnip will make it lo-cal.

But I do like to use turnips in soup and stew. We are in that season ain't we.

Here is a quiz----- Clam Chowder with bacon in it is called, "______________ Clam Chowder"
    Not sure. My cookbook from The Lobster restaurant says New England could have either salt pork or bacon. My Clam Shack book only mentioned bacon in Portsmouth chowder.
    My wife's from New Hampshire and couldn't accept Manhattan as a clam chowder. A clam stew maybe.
    Tracers work both ways.

Good one Spotts!
    Tracers work both ways.

Rhode Island clam chowder has bacon in it.

Sounding very good, never tried chowder with turnips. Yet
    Old, Bald and Cranky