Thread: Best hook up for Thermostat, Heat pump/propane furnace

Post Likes

Best hook up for Thermostat, Heat pump/propane furnace

I repair A/c and heating as well as many other Items, Mostly commercial refrigeration. I completed my refrigeration and heating school in the early 90s. Kept all my grades in the upper 90%. Since I live in a small desert community I have to do a large variety of things to stay busy. The point is that I don't get daily or even monthly experiance on HeatPumps, A/C etc.
    Now I am installing a White rogers 1F83-277 Thermostat for a customer. I am installing it to operate a GMV95/GCV9 two-stage PROPANE furnace and a GSH140421ad HeatPump from Goodman.
    I can hook it up to use the heatpump as an A/C very easily. But I am trying to hook the heat pump up so that it runs on the thermostat as the primary heat and the Furnace comes in as a back up. I need to get a fossil fuel kit to do this. But for the two weeks or more I am waiting for the parts The customer would like heat. I could just hook up the funace and wait but It seems to me there is a way to wire this so that the Heat pump works on the thermostat as it normaly would and if I select emergency heat the furnace will take over.
    Does anybody have any ideas for me or a better answer than I am trying to do? I mainly just want to learn how to do this even though it is not important for this application.

Post Likes
    Since your previous post concerning this same issue was closed as DIY, I really wouldn't expect anyone to give you step by step instructions or any further information.

There are reasons for the no DIY rule at this site...
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    I guess I could add some info in case somebody not familial with these items could input. The The thermostat can be set for Multi stage or heatpump, and of couse single stage. Has a L, C, R, W2, E/W1, Y2, Y1, G, O, B connections as well as a few others for de-humidifier etc... The furnace is a two stage gas fired warm air furnace with a toggle on the board for single stage operation were it operates in low stage for a time and then switches to high stage. Thermotat connections O, YLO, Y, B/C, G, R, W1, W2, Dehum-Twin, ... The Heat pump.. C, W2, O, Y, R....

Post Likes
    Your best option, if you are indeed a professional, is to get your post count up and apply for professional membership. Then you can post your questions in the professional forum where the pro's discuss those ornery HVAC problems.

Maybe read the rules regarding DIY and why it is not allowed here. It's not a case of no-one understanding your question.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Since your previous post concerning this same issue was closed as DIY, I really wouldn't expect anyone to give you step by step instructions or any further information.

There are reasons for the no DIY rule at this site...
    Except I am not a do it your selfer. I am making my living with this and just don't happen to get the experiance as people in larger areas. I also don't have anybody to call in to give me advise because I am in the middle of nowhere. I know how to hook up a thermostat. I haven't been able to keep up with the times because I do so many other things. I am just having a problem getting my mind around this one.. Looking for the wisdom of experiance. If you close this one or nobody answers then life will go on for me,,, thanks anyway...

Post Likes
    This is an open area of the forum and step by step questions are not answered here. I thought that was made clear?

If you are a pro, there are many resources available to you regardless of location in the United States (or even abroad!). Call technical support, look at the manufacturer's website, call your supplier etc. If you aren't a pro, you probably don't know about these options...we're a one-man shop in a rural area and we get support from many different sources...

Post Likes
    Call White-Rogers, the thermostat manufacturer. They should have a technical help line.

Post Likes
    ...we're a one-man shop in a rural area...
    But your name is Mrs Reb77?

Post Likes
    Your best option, if you are indeed a professional, is to get your post count up and apply for professional membership. Then you can post your questions in the professional forum where the pro's discuss those ornery HVAC problems.

Maybe read the rules regarding DIY and why it is not allowed here. It's not a case of no-one understanding your question.
    Sorry, staying pretty busy and didn't get the full run down on how your site works exactly I guess. I am not sure what my post count is exactly either. Read the rules and didn't seem to read that this area wasn't for such questions. I am guessing now that this is for home owners that have simple noise, shortcycle, blown fuse type problems or non-repair problems and want to run it by people who are indeed professionals and get their opinions. And you have another section that if I was also one of those professionals I could ask this question.. Then I would need to do a little most reading on this site and figure out how to get to the professional area, if I am indeed a professional. I think I have it now.. Sorry again for mis-posting...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jimq40 View Post
    I repair A/c and heating as well as many other Items, Mostly commercial refrigeration. I completed my refrigeration and heating school in the early 90s. Kept all my grades in the upper 90%. Since I live in a small desert community I have to do a large variety of things to stay busy. The point is that I don't get daily or even monthly experiance on HeatPumps, A/C etc.
    Now I am installing a White rogers 1F83-277 Thermostat for a customer. I am installing it to operate a GMV95/GCV9 two-stage PROPANE furnace and a GSH140421ad HeatPump from Goodman.
    I can hook it up to use the heatpump as an A/C very easily. But I am trying to hook the heat pump up so that it runs on the thermostat as the primary heat and the Furnace comes in as a back up. I need to get a fossil fuel kit to do this. But for the two weeks or more I am waiting for the parts The customer would like heat. I could just hook up the funace and wait but It seems to me there is a way to wire this so that the Heat pump works on the thermostat as it normaly would and if I select emergency heat the furnace will take over.
    Does anybody have any ideas for me or a better answer than I am trying to do? I mainly just want to learn how to do this even though it is not important for this application.

I know exactly what your trying to do and your trying to do it wrong!!!

2 weeks to get parts??? Are you frickin kidding me? If you work in refrigeration as you claim, then you know that a part ordered at 5PM can be on your doorstep by 10AM the next morning. 2 weeks.....I can snail mail parts and have them here in under a week. No wonder you don't get that much business, your customers can order parts on ebay and have them installed faster than you can even get them...

Point in fact, you need the duel fuel kit. And 2 weeks to get it is a little crazy if you ask me. Something isn't right here. I call bullsh!t.

However, if you are a pro, then you should know the resources at hand to hack together something in the time being. But I'm curious...is this a new install? Why isn't there a fuel kit already?
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Call White-Rogers, the thermostat manufacturer. They should have a technical help line.
    Thanks.. I was just looking for a quick answer, the easy way out.. I guess your right, sometimes the simple answers are the last ones we think of.. Too easy...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    But your name is Mrs Reb77?
    1 man shop, 1 woman office!

Post Likes
    1 man shop, 1 woman office!
    You are the BOSS!!

Take care.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I know exactly what your trying to do and your trying to do it wrong!!!

2 weeks to get parts??? Are you frickin kidding me? If you work in refrigeration as you claim, then you know that a part ordered at 5PM can be on your doorstep by 10AM the next morning. 2 weeks.....I can snail mail parts and have them here in under a week. No wonder you don't get that much business, your customers can order parts on ebay and have them installed faster than you can even get them...

Point in fact, you need the duel fuel kit. And 2 weeks to get it is a little crazy if you ask me. Something isn't right here. I call bullsh!t.

However, if you are a pro, then you should know the resources at hand to hack together something in the time being. But I'm curious...is this a new install? Why isn't there a fuel kit already?
    Please excuse a dumb a.. for asking a question. I said that I had little experiance with heat pump right up front. I wasn't trying to do anything except straighten my mind up after I got myself confused trying to figure out something. I don't need to figure it out, I will have all the wiring instructions with the kit when it gets here. I can hook up the funace as I have now and the customer can have heat. I just wanted to find out the answer to the question so that I understood the system better.
    The customer ordered the system himself and asked me to install it for him. His supplier sent the setup the way it is. They sent it like it was a straight A/C, He has ordered the FF kit and HE chose to use standard mail. To get to where I live the mail goes through several POs each one it can take up to 3 days before it gets sent on to the next one if there is a lot of 1st class packages that get the priority. This is Christmas season and there are a lot of 1st class so this package is delayed.. (I was told this by the lady at the post office just yesterday when I asked how long it will take to get the package.)

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jimq40 View Post
    Please excuse a dumb a.. for asking a question. I said that I had little experiance with heat pump right up front. I wasn't trying to do anything except straighten my mind up after I got myself confused trying to figure out something. I don't need to figure it out, I will have all the wiring instructions with the kit when it gets here. I can hook up the funace as I have now and the customer can have heat. I just wanted to find out the answer to the question so that I understood the system better.
    The customer ordered the system himself and asked me to install it for him. His supplier sent the setup the way it is. They sent it like it was a straight A/C, He has ordered the FF kit and HE chose to use standard mail. To get to where I live the mail goes through several POs each one it can take up to 3 days before it gets sent on to the next one if there is a lot of 1st class packages that get the priority. This is Christmas season and there are a lot of 1st class so this package is delayed.. (I was told this by the lady at the post office just yesterday when I asked how long it will take to get the package.)

dual fuel/fossil fuel kits are old school stuff barely used anymore!

nowadays any tech that knows what is going on will install a dual fuel t-stat

example honeywell dual fuel 8000 t-stat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    dual fuel/fossil fuel kits are old school stuff barely used anymore!

nowadays any tech that knows what is going on will install a dual fuel t-stat

example honeywell dual fuel 8000 t-stat

But since my customer called a company in Florida and had everything delivered to his door and this thermostat is the one he got I was planning on using it. Here I am to wrapped up in fixing what he's got that I don't look at the obvious. Thanks... I'll just tell him to trade it out. White Rogers has a duel fuel thermostat also, the 1F85-277.. I think it would even be about $50.00 less expensive than adding the kit...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in