Integrating April 5000 control unit with furnace

I just had a new system installed: Carrier Infinity heat pump; Carrier Infinity 80 furnace; Infinity thermostat; and Aprilaire 5000 EAC. The contractor has not been able to properly integrate the EAC with the furnace. The EAC is working properly, and goes on and off with the furnace, but its control unit stays on continuously, with the little lights flashing. The control unit is also supposed to be able to control the furnace fan - if you select "constant cleaning" it should turn the fan on - but it doesn't. Is it possible that the control unit and furnace can't be integrated, or is there some trick my contractor isn't aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_VA View Post
    I just had a new system installed: Carrier Infinity heat pump; Carrier Infinity 80 furnace; Infinity thermostat; and Aprilaire 5000 EAC. The contractor has not been able to properly integrate the EAC with the furnace. The EAC is working properly, and goes on and off with the furnace, but its control unit stays on continuously, with the little lights flashing. The control unit is also supposed to be able to control the furnace fan - if you select "constant cleaning" it should turn the fan on - but it doesn't. Is it possible that the control unit and furnace can't be integrated, or is there some trick my contractor isn't aware of?
    First, I am the homeowner/builder NOT the HVAC pro so keep that in mind. My HVAC guy had the same problem. He did not advise leaving it on all the time because he stated it would create excessive amounts of ozone which is an irritant. He set it up to sense the voltage on the blower and turn off when the blower was not working. Not sure exactly how he accomplished this but its what and how he did it.....
    I can take a picture of the setup if you dont get more appropriate and professional input here....

If you want constant cleaning just turn the fan switch on the thermostat to th on position. This brings on the furnace fan in circulation mode(low speed) and the filter will do its job. As for the Ozone, there is very little to none produced by the 5000. The 5000 is different from old style electronic plate style aircleaners which arced and sparked all of the time. That is what produces ozone. The 5000 uses much lower voltages and does not arc.

Whats the purpose of having a nice EAC like the AprileAire 5000 and only have it operate when the stat calls for heat. Your best bet is to run your fan on low epsecailly since you have a ECM blower which literally cost pennies a day to run on low and have the EAC do it's job 24/7.