Thread: ASIC Controls?

ASIC Controls?

Has anyone had any exposure to these controls? Has anyone integrated them? If so, what did you use and how did it work out? Have never heard of ASIC before. Thanks.
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

Asic is ASI Controls, www.asicontrols.com We have repped for them for the last 6 years, low failure rate and a good controller IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeout View Post
    Has anyone had any exposure to these controls? Has anyone integrated them? If so, what did you use and how did it work out? Have never heard of ASIC before. Thanks.
    ASI Controls web site is http://www.asicontrols.com/. We've performed interoperability testing between their WebLink HMI and our S4 Open: OPC-N2 Router and found it to work very well. From a business perspective they have been very good to work with. One of their channel partners is performing a Metasys integration at a customer site and I've heard lots of good things about how the project is going.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Hmm

So just for kicks and whistles, please correct me if I am mistaken. I could quite possibly take a facility with nothing but ASI Controls and convert it from OPC to N2 and bring it into an FX40 with full functionality? Using the router mentioned above?
    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask any questions is a fool forever.

So just for kicks and whistles, please correct me if I am mistaken. I could quite possibly take a facility with nothing but ASI Controls and convert it from OPC to N2 and bring it into an FX40 with full functionality? Using the router mentioned above?
    No, you are mistaken. The OPC-N2 Router connects to legacy Metasys N2 buses, discovers the N2 devices on the bus, assigns a point map to each device according to the application loaded in the controller, and publishes the results to an open OPC interface. The results are that you can integrate any legacy Metasys system to any OPC compliant head end system or HMI.

We are working on an integration tool that would allow you to bring any OPC device into a Metasys system through either N2 or BACnet. This is in its early developmental stages so it will not be available for some time. We have similar projects underway for SNMP devices and for MODbus devices. See the news item on our web site (in profile) or contact me directly for more details.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

So it will be ready first quarter next year?

So it will be ready first quarter next year?
    I can't announce an availability date until we get at least the initial system level testing underway to validate the integrity of the code. Certainly first quarter seems realistic. Contact me off list to discuss more details about your project.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Hey Steve email me some pricing, we usually rip the Metasys stuff out and put ASI but have possible sites where we may have to integrate.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Hey Steve email me some pricing, we usually rip the Metasys stuff out and put ASI but have possible sites where we may have to integrate.
    Thanks for the Interest joey791. Please send me your contact information offline and I'll send you the pricing info. My contact info in in my profile. If you are looking for technical info there is a white paper and Quick Start guide that you can download from our web site. The first time you visit you'll need to fill out a New User registration.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

email is in my profile

Quote Originally Posted by steves4 View Post
    I can't announce an availability date until we get at least the initial system level testing underway to validate the integrity of the code. Certainly first quarter seems realistic. Contact me off list to discuss more details about your project.
    Just to be perfectly clear. The S4 Open: OPC-N2 Router is available and shipping now. It is the generic OPC device integrator that we are currently developing. When completed, this will be available as an option to any of our products.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    email is in my profile
    Pricing info has been provided offline.

One of the things to be aware of is that many OPC clients do not do a good job at accessing remote OPC Servers or dealing with DCOM security issues. This is a worse issue for OPC clients that have been written assuming that all devices on the network are part of a Windows domain and can be found in Active Directory. That's not the real world. ASI WebLink is one of many examples of OPC clients that have limitations in this area.

Our OPC-N2 Router is delivered as a network appliance hosted on an Advantech UNO 2059E industrial PC. Since it runs on Windows CE for (near) real time performance it cannot join the Windows domain.

When you purchase the OPC-N2 Router appliance we deliver a Management Console that runs on any Windows PC. The Console is used to configure the system and explore the N2 network. You can install as many copies of the Console as you need for your application. Immediately after the initial release of the product we added an enhancement to eliminate the issue described above. As the Management Console discovers each OPC-N2 Router on the network it creates an OPC proxy server on the local PC. The OPC proxy server then transparently creates a tunnel to our appliance. Bottom line, The OPC client talks to our OPC proxy server as a local OPC client. The interface provided by ASI's WebLink to browse to points on local OPC servers and map them to graphics is very nice. It has worked well in all of our interoperability testing.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.