Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

we're paying the same for electric in the southeast

First, I'm upset that we're paying the same for electric in the southeast, and Southern Co burns mostly cheaper coal -- and the turds still asked for a 20% increase -- we're paying $1.56/therm -- what are you guys paying for natural gas?

Secondly, experience is helpful when evaluating heat/cool loads -- this way your experience can tell you whether your calculations are reasonable.

There's no way your heating load is 1.5 times your cooling load -- most contractors can't even calculate break even, and I'm confident your contractors don't know what they're doing with that heat load calc.

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    emcoasthvacr - Unfortunatly - I cannot challenge the Heat loads at this time, however each one of my 3 potiential installers have said after they get the job, they will share the entire heat load calculations. They did not want to give it out i guess to protect their work - which is fair. I am sure i will have questions here once i see it to ensure its accurate!!

On the Electricity - yes - i am paying .11/KWH and locked in for the year. this includes all delivery, taxes etc etc

thanks for your input

Quote Originally Posted by emcoasthvacr View Post
    First, I'm upset that we're paying the same for electric in the southeast, and Southern Co burns mostly cheaper coal -- and the turds still asked for a 20% increase -- we're paying $1.56/therm -- what are you guys paying for natural gas?

Secondly, experience is helpful when evaluating heat/cool loads -- this way your experience can tell you whether your calculations are reasonable.

There's no way your heating load is 1.5 times your cooling load -- most contractors can't even calculate break even, and I'm confident your contractors don't know what they're doing with that heat load calc.
    I live in the country - natural Gas is not ab option - The best propane price i found yesterday was 2.10 - still high. Oil is 2.49 as of yesterday

Appreciate your comments the load - I will have my selected contractor re-do the heat load calc's once i do final selection

Let me ask a question - are there any programs or sites out there that allows a home owner to do a heat load calculation?

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post

Let me ask - is conceevable that 145 MM BTU of heat normal for a very well insulated 2500 SQ ft house in NY. Sounds high - but then again - i am not sure what high is....

thanks
    Seems huge. Sounds like everything is going wrong. Your house is leaky, uninsulated, your furnace short cycles, and your ductwork is undersized due to extreme heat loss. 1000 gallons would be high, 2000 is extreme!
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Seems huge. Sounds like everything is going wrong. Your house is leaky, uninsulated, your furnace short cycles, and your ductwork is undersized due to extreme heat loss. 1000 gallons would be high, 2000 is extreme!
    Tedkidd - My old house is gone -t his will be tight construction - cellulose insulation , 2*6. I need to get a copy of my heat load calculations once i select my installer ( tuesday morning)

thank

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post

thanks - I may just download to play with it..

Doogan,

Sorry - I just realized you are in NY.

You DEFINITELY should go to get energy smart and run this install through the program.

You'll get a thorough assessment of your building, suggestions for improvements, heat loss, etc - AND 10% rebate (up to $3,000!) from NYSERDA when your job is done. At the end your job will get a "Test Out" - Only way to really be sure the job was done RIGHT.

As an accredited contractor WE get money for running your job through the program as well, so it really is a Win,Win,Win (homeowner, contractor, environment) situation.

BTW - by installing energy efficiency improvements in 2009 you can get tax credits as well.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234