hallowell acadia vs waterfurnace geo vs york affinity

hallowell acadia vs waterfurnace geo vs york affinity

I hope im not breaking any rules by starting a new thread. but this is my true question, after hours and months of research. I have a 3300 sq ft walkout ranch, with an additional 3300 sq ft in basement, the house is a very energy efficient custom home built in 1969. we have electric radiant ceiling heat on the top level, we have no ac, no gas (but available)no ducts, no heat in the basement, and our budget is REMOVED dollars a month. our kwh rate is 6.3 and i am in cleveland ohio. I was leaning towards the 6 ton envision GS unit. installed with ducts is REMOVED. I received a price on the york affinity (that goes to 0 degrees) REMOVEDwith ducts. and lastly the acadia system, REMOVEDwith ducts.........questions

-which would you do
    -will i benefit from the acadia in my climate, it rarely goes below 0 that i can recall., but we have alot of low teen days.
    -will I see any beneficial payback from the geo.

I am in the last inning and need to make a decision very soon. this has been a couple month research process for me and it is driving me nuts. I am just scared to go the geo route and see a similar bill to the york or affinity route. so I would basically be throwing away REMOVED. I just want to quit over analyzing everything and make a decision.

thanks for all the opinions and advice.

PLEASE! Review our site rules re' pricing in posts!
    Last edited by HeyBob; 11-13-2008 at 06:16 AM.

First off, edit your question and remove all references to money as they're not allowed and have no bearing on the question. The expert opinions you'll get here do not include valuation calculations. Dollar evaluations are left to the HO.

I wouldn't recommend the Acadia as a good application unless your winter is very long and very cold. By very cold I mean a lot of days in the single digits like they are in Maine where the Acadia (National Forest) is located. The Acadia shines in places with limited oil/gas or very expensive oil/gas and low, low temps. It's not as competetive in the high teens and low twenties due to the extensive use of electric resistance heat in that temperature range. Once it gets cold enough for the booster compressor to kick in, it does a lot better, the Btu rating increases and costs are more competetive to operate it. For those temps, I'd go with either a dual fuel or geo-thermal system. If your budeget allows, I'd highly recommend the geo system with your electric rates. If the budget doesn't allow, then my next best option would be a dual fuel system, with an air-to-air HP as the primary heating source and an aux/emergency fossil fuel furnace as the the back-up. JMO
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Please review the rules, there is a link in my signature line. Thanks for your cooperation.