HRV vs Honeywell Y8150 house ventilation system

This is my dilemma. We have built an ICF house with 3400 sq feet.

I currently have planned for an HRV unit but the HVAC installer recommends saving some money and using the Honeywell Fresh Air Ventilator. He also said that from what he has seen is that many people dont change the filters in the HRVs and the motors burn out after two years or so. Then the people dont even use the HRVS.

Have you seen this in using HRV's?

I am very concerned about fresh air in an ICF house. I am also very concerned with energy effeciency, it does not seem that a fresh air ventillator like this is very effecient. What do you think on this issue?

I live in Northeast Ohio. So it gets pretty cold for 5-6 months per year.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    This is my dilemma. We have built an ICF house with 3400 sq feet.

I currently have planned for an HRV unit but the HVAC installer recommends saving some money and using the Honeywell Fresh Air Ventilator. He also said that from what he has seen is that many people dont change the filters in the HRVs and the motors burn out after two years or so. Then the people dont even use the HRVS.

Have you seen this in using HRV's?

I am very concerned about fresh air in an ICF house. I am also very concerned with energy effeciency, it does not seem that a fresh air ventillator like this is very effecient. What do you think on this issue?

I live in Northeast Ohio. So it gets pretty cold for 5-6 months per year.
    Air tight homes need make-up air for the bath fans, kitchen exhaust, and clothes drier to exhaust when operated. You need the 70-100 cfm of fresh air when the home is occupied. Also ICF homes do leak a small amount of air during cold weather and wind, like 30-50 cfm. Providing 70 cfm of make-up air during occupancy only increases the air change 40-50 cfm. In other words, you heat an additional 40-50 cfm for 12 hours a day. This is less than $100 per year in addtional heat without an HRV and your exhaust device have some make-up air. The key is to bring the correct amount of fresh air when you need it. This require times of day fresh air ventilation.
    In addition to the winter situation, consider that you need fresh air all year for the exhaust device to operate and purge indoor pollutants. During the spring,summer, and fall, the outdoor air contains excess moisture. In a well insulated home like yours. the a/c operates very little. Therefore, you need supplemental dehumidification to maintain <50%RH throughout your home. Low %RH assures comfort and controls mold and dust mites.
    Knowing you need a specific amount of fresh make-up air when occupied and dehumidification, I suggest investigating the ventilating dehumidifier as a option. Whole house ventilating dehumidifiers blend fresh make-up with house, filter, and circulate the fresh air throughout the home using your a/c/heating ducts. Whenever the indoor %RH exceeds the setting, the dehu removes the moisture from the air in the home independent of the ventiliation function. Being able to maintain low humidity throughout the home during humid weather decreases the need for a/c significantly. Check out thermastor.com ULtra-Aire dehus. There other brands of this new concept. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Like any other appliance that moves air. They need regular maintainence.
    If taken care of. They will work fine.
    If neglected, they don't.
    So the question is, are you a person that will maintain it, or are you a person that will neglect it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?