Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Wages?

Starting Wages?

ive recently started school to become and HVAC technician and i was curious about starting wages i know some ppl say tehy start out low and after a few years of expereience thet make as much as 30+ dollars an hour im just wondering what the starting wages will be on average for HVAC technician in western PA if i need to be specific.

also curious if i should join the union or not just some things ive been thinking about

You sound like i did about 15 years ago. I started at $4.25 waaaaaaaaaay back then. Now am on track to beat $70k this year by a bit.

As far as the Union, I am a union member and a bit ambivalent about it. Here is the union as I see it:

I get good health coverage, but I over pay for it because I have to pay more for the guys that aren't working. My healthcare package costs well over $15k annuay.
    I get paid a good wage, but the union takes a big chunk of that and, to date, I haven't really seen a HUGE benefit from it.

There is are union and non union contractors here in Western PA.

I <think> that starting is somewhere just under $10 and $30 is a little high for union techs in this area, but overtime makes up for it in supermarket work.

Have you thought about where in the industry that you want to work? Residential, Commercial, industrial??

30 an hour after a few years all I can say is you better have another job lined up, to get to that wage you need years of experience but if you stick with it apply yourself dont undercut yourself when it comes to salary I say it'll take awhile to get to that amount and who knows maybe a little less time. In short when you get that amount you better know what a 30 an hour tech knows itll be expected.

jpsmith funny as it maybe im going to school at NCST, i would love to do commercial even industrial but as far as im learning now im most likely starting out in residential eventually if im good enough moving on up.

if im making more then or around $15 an hour i will be happy thats good money for a full time job not including overtime.

i just dont want this choice to be a bad choice im more less just like anyone else in the business for the money maybe i was lead in under false pretence that i would make good money. my father is an electrician and makes around 5k a month which is extremely good money in my eyes if i can make nearly that much i would be thrilled, but from the sounds of it from u guys im looking at starting out at minimum wage.

Maybe they have a newer one now, and one for your area. . .
    http://www.bls.gov/ncs/ocs/sp/ncbl0873.pdf
    Your tax dollars have already paid for this.

Quote Originally Posted by swayyde1 View Post
    jpsmith funny as it maybe im going to school at NCST, i would love to do commercial even industrial but as far as im learning now im most likely starting out in residential eventually if im good enough moving on up.

if im making more then or around $15 an hour i will be happy thats good money for a full time job not including overtime.

i just dont want this choice to be a bad choice im more less just like anyone else in the business for the money maybe i was lead in under false pretence that i would make good money. my father is an electrician and makes around 5k a month which is extremely good money in my eyes if i can make nearly that much i would be thrilled, but from the sounds of it from u guys im looking at starting out at minimum wage.
    Most starting positions will start at minimum wage.

As far as advancement, learn all that you can in school, ask questions here and then learn on the job when you get out.

The $30/hour tech is rare, but they are out there.

I'd just like to comment on jp's posts on this thread...good job giving a straightforward, no-frills answer without "poking at" the new guy - it's nice to see
    "The problem is the average person isnt tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and its not in the movies they watch, and its not in the few books that they buy, they dont get it" - Jack Canfield

Good field and decent money if you have a talent for the work. It can be very interesting and challenging. Here in Kansas I hire for decent personality first. Total beginners $10 per hr. Schooled and pass a test, $13 per hr. Experienced and licensed $16 to $20 per hour. I lose the really good ones to larger companies who can pay more.

How much can you make in residential in minneapolis? I am currently attending school for my diploma in residential hvac.

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    I'd just like to comment on jp's posts on this thread...good job giving a straightforward, no-frills answer without "poking at" the new guy - it's nice to see
    Who ever that he hires on with will bust his b**ls bad enough, there is no need for me to.

Seriously, we were all a FNG once. While we do need to push the new guys to excellence, there is no need for some of the abuse that I have seen in the field.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 11-13-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: more thought

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You sound like i did about 15 years ago. I started at $4.25 waaaaaaaaaay back then. Now am on track to beat $70k this year by a bit.

As far as the Union, I am a union member and a bit ambivalent about it. Here is the union as I see it:

I get good health coverage, but I over pay for it because I have to pay more for the guys that aren't working. My healthcare package costs well over $15k annuay.
    I get paid a good wage, but the union takes a big chunk of that and, to date, I haven't really seen a HUGE benefit from it.

There is are union and non union contractors here in Western PA.

I <think> that starting is somewhere just under $10 and $30 is a little high for union techs in this area, but overtime makes up for it in supermarket work.

Have you thought about where in the industry that you want to work? Residential, Commercial, industrial??
    Despite the higher costs for healthcare in the union, the benefits are still 1000% percent better than any non-union contractor I've came across with the exception of very large companies like JCI.

Quote Originally Posted by ideafx View Post
    Despite the higher costs for healthcare in the union, the benefits are still 1000% percent better than any non-union contractor I've came across with the exception of very large companies like JCI.
    I knew that someone would call me on my union comments.

I have the disadvantage of only having worked for a single contractor, so have no idea of what goes on at other companies.

What does burn my a$$ is the idea of paying for someone else. If you can't pull your own weight, LEAVE.

Union=Entitlement

Just find an honest company that doesnt work on commisions and you will do fine.

Start at 15.00/hr up to 43.00/hr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast