Amana brand feedback - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Since this is a heat pump, it's important to get the matching indoor coil for rated performance, efficiency, reliability, and more importantly, warranty. Your York furnace's coil won't be a match for the 18 SEER outdoor unit (new coils need to be larger than those of the past). Also you want the variable speed fan inside with a 2-stage outdoor unit. 14 or 18 SEER, the indoor unit still needs to be a matching Amana.

oops... I should have said that they would use the Amana ASZ coil inside, just before the York electric furnace.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Since this is a heat pump, it's important to get the matching indoor coil for rated performance, efficiency, reliability, and more importantly, warranty. Your York furnace's coil won't be a match for the 18 SEER outdoor unit (new coils need to be larger than those of the past). Also you want the variable speed fan inside with a 2-stage outdoor unit. 14 or 18 SEER, the indoor unit still needs to be a matching Amana.

It will cost more, but it's easier to just get the matching Amana air handler, because with the 2-stage outdoor unit the variable speed motor is needed to get the most out of the unit in terms of efficiency and performance. The variable speed motor is certainly worth having with your new system. By electric furnace I assume you mean an air handler inside. The Amana coil may not fit

I've been trying to determine whether the parts warranty continues after replacement (for the remainder of the 10-year period). Any idea what the warranty situation is after the replacement?
    A co-worker just had his 2 year-old compressor replaced under warranty. The new compressor is good for 8 more years under the original 10 year all-parts warranty (for an R22 system).

They would remove my old York coil from my air handler and fit the bigger Amana coil in the return box just before the air handler.

You understand well that I'm trying to save on the cost of an air handler when my York unit is still in good condition.

Would the Amana unit be able to use my York Air Handler's two blower speeds, or should I then go for the ASZ14 one speed unit?

Thanks.

Pierre

It will cost more, but it's easier to just get the matching Amana air handler, because with the 2-stage outdoor unit the variable speed motor is needed to get the most out of the unit in terms of efficiency and performance. The variable speed motor is certainly worth having with your new system. By electric furnace I assume you mean an air handler inside. The Amana coil may not fit

If your York air handler is a PSC blower.
    Then save money by getting a single stage heatpump.
    You won't get any real benefit from the 2 stage heatpump. Nor will you get the tax credit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

1- Does it mean that the ASZ18 will not give me more cooling power than the ASZ14?

2- What does PSC mean?

Thanks.

Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If your York air handler is a PSC blower.
    Then save money by getting a single stage heatpump.
    You won't get any real benefit from the 2 stage heatpump. Nor will you get the tax credit.

Basically, the sme size 14 SEER and the same size 18SEER give you the same amount of cooling.

PSC, permanent split capacitor.
    Its the motor in standard air handlers and furnaces.
    Contractor locator map

What difference then? One's more economical in power usage?

Basically, the sme size 14 SEER and the same size 18SEER give you the same amount of cooling.

PSC, permanent split capacitor.
    Its the motor in standard air handlers and furnaces.

The higher SEER generally uses less electric then the lower SEER.

But, if using a stage on a standard blower. And not being able to slow the blower enough when its in first stage.
    You may see no savings, and possibly use more due to poor moisture removal in first stage becuse the blower doesn't slow down enough.
    Contractor locator map

Either I splurge and get the ASZ18 with a new Amana air handler, or I reuse my York unit and get the ASZ14 Heat Pump. Either way, I understand I'll get roughly the same cooling and heating output.

However, on the long run, even though running the ASZ18 may be cheaper, I guess I'll save more by keeping my York air handler (with an ASZ14 unit) because of the cost or replacing the air handler. I guess the York can last a long way: All its parts are easily (and cheaply) replaced.

Am I right?

Thanks.

The higher SEER generally uses less electric then the lower SEER.

But, if using a stage on a standard blower. And not being able to slow the blower enough when its in first stage.
    You may see no savings, and possibly use more due to poor moisture removal in first stage becuse the blower doesn't slow down enough.

Thats it in a nutshell.
    Contractor locator map

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12