Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amana brand feedback

My HVAC guy is trying to sell me on an Amana brand 14 seer ac/heatpump. Any feedback on quality?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yoniles View Post
    My HVAC guy is trying to sell me on an Amana brand 14 seer ac/heatpump. Any feedback on quality?

Thanks.
    The scroll compressor (preferred in the industry) on the ASZ 14 SEER, R410 refrigerant Amana has a lifetime warranty, part only, to the original homeowner. If the compressor fails, the entire condenser (outdoor unit) is replaced under warranty. All other parts have a 10 year warranty, parts only.

If properly matched with the right air handler or indoor coil, they have excellent efficiencies (EER and HSPF) as well as solid btu outputs.

Make sure you get the ASZ14 heat pump which is the true Amana unit. The Amana SSZ14 Distinctions and GSH14 Distinctions are re-labelled Goodman heat pump condensers and do not have some of the features of the ASZ14 Amana.

Ensure that you get all model numbers on the quote.

A good installation is key to good performing, long lasting system.

www.Amana-HAC.com

Good luck.

Gary - in reference to your statement about properly matching ... What in your opinion would be a good match or air handler or coil? One of my potential installers is recommending a first company Air handler (MBXB-HW Series) with both a heating and cooling coil, with the Amana ASZ 16. The heating coil would be connected to a boiler for the duel fuel setup. I am getting the exact model of the first company equipment friday and i will post here.

thoughts ..?
    thanks as always

Good stuff, with good warranties, go for it.

Nothing wrong with Amana equiment.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Gary - in reference to your statement about properly matching ... What in your opinion would be a good match or air handler or coil? One of my potential installers is recommending a first company Air handler (MBXB-HW Series) with both a heating and cooling coil, with the Amana ASZ 16. The heating coil would be connected to a boiler for the duel fuel setup. I am getting the exact model of the first company equipment friday and i will post here.

thoughts ..?
    thanks as always
    Amana lists their matching air handlers and coils on www.Amana-HAC.com.

The Air Conditioning Heating and Refrigeration Institute website is www.AHRIDirectory.org.

We can use both sites to make sure of an approved match for the heat pump condenser and air handler/coil.

Good luck.

Sounds like a good system. In my opinion the quality of the installer is the most critical issue. It sounds to me like your guy is above average since he is willing to use a boiler for the dual fuel setup.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Amana lists their matching air handlers and coils on www.Amana-HAC.com.

The Air Conditioning Heating and Refrigeration Institute website is www.AHRIDirectory.org.

We can use both sites to make sure of an approved match for the heat pump condenser and air handler/coil.

Good luck.
    So are you saying that I should consider an AMANA Air handler Vs a first Company product - I do not see any ref. to third party airhandlers in their site (obviously!)

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    So are you saying that I should consider an AMANA Air handler Vs a first Company product - I do not see any ref. to third party airhandlers in their site (obviously!)
    You can use a matching Amana coil in another brand's air handler. However, that ASZ 16 SEER 2-stage heat pump condenser needs a variable speed fan in the air handler to obtain it's 16 SEER rating. If the other brand's air handler does not have a v-s motor, I would use no higher than a 14 SEER condenser.

If you go with the 2-stage 16 SEER, your thermostat must be able to handle 3 stages of heat: 2 stage heat from the heat pump plus the third stage from the boiler and hydronic coil.

Take care.

I own the ASZ14, 4 ton unit. I have had it for 6 months now.
    So far so good, does not make too much noise and it has been keeping the house very comfortable in summer and now in fall as well. I am very happy with it. Saved me money in summer and is going to do the same this winter.

Be sure to get a good installer!!! My guys turned out to be second rate.
    I lucked out in two ways:

1) I posted pictures to this site and I got instant feed back on the poor install.
    2) The guy who sold the job did want to make good on his work / word so they re-hung the coil and fit it with new duct.

If I did not have a resource like this site at my disposal I would not have known how bad the 1st go around was. The folks on this site saved me real money.

These guys are spot on when they say the installer is more important than the equipment, it is 100% accurate.

Best of luck to you…

Cheers!

Matching outside and inside coils.

My dealer wants to install a 48,000 BTU inside coil on the Amana ASZ (18 seer) 36,000 BTU Heat Pump that I'll be buying. He says this is more efficient. Is this a good idea?

Please do not reply here. I've started a new thread.
    Last edited by Bellavance; 06-02-2009 at 06:23 PM.

If the compressor fails, the entire condenser (outdoor unit) is replaced under warranty.
    I've been trying to determine whether the parts warranty continues after replacement (for the remainder of the 10-year period). Any idea what the warranty situation is after the replacement?

ASZ18 or ASZ14 for older York electric furnace ?

What happens if I install an ASZ 18 with my York electric furnace? It's an old model but I think it's two speed capable. If I remember well, when in continuous ON fan mode, the fan is faster when the heat pump runs than when it stops.

Will my 18 SEER Heat Pump lose 4 SEER of efficiency, or will it use these two speeds to advantage?

Should I get the 14 SEER model instead?

Pierre

You can use a matching Amana coil in another brand's air handler. However, that ASZ 16 SEER 2-stage heat pump condenser needs a variable speed fan in the air handler to obtain it's 16 SEER rating. If the other brand's air handler does not have a v-s motor, I would use no higher than a 14 SEER condenser.

If you go with the 2-stage 16 SEER, your thermostat must be able to handle 3 stages of heat: 2 stage heat from the heat pump plus the third stage from the boiler and hydronic coil.

Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast