Thread: Attic fans

Attic fans

50 year old house we bought in LI - it has a huge attic fan -wires were disconnected some time ago -- also i would have to install the louver slats in the ceiling as well - some people told me they were great to cool the house n the spring - some poeple told me not to hook it up that it will suck up fumes from the basement
    what is the consensus on these - are they trully wonders or are they dangerous ?

http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publicati...SEC-PF-273-92/

http://securedb.fsec.ucf.edu/pub/pub...?v_pub_id=4237

If you have fumes in basement they're probably already coming in the home and that should be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by New Home LI View Post
    50 year old house we bought in LI - it has a huge attic fan -wires were disconnected some time ago -- also i would have to install the louver slats in the ceiling as well - some people told me they were great to cool the house n the spring - some poeple told me not to hook it up that it will suck up fumes from the basement
    what is the consensus on these - are they trully wonders or are they dangerous ?
    Mine is just for the attic and it's on a thermostat, but I have it wired so I can turn it on in the winter to prevent ice dams.

If your fan is large and ventilates the whole house it may suck out combustion air (if you have gas appliances).

thanks for the feedback

no gas appliances-all electric
    just have an oil burner for a hot water heat system ( and new indiect hot water tank being installed )_ -burner brand new and properly exhausted both the oil company and my plumber looked it over - so I am confident I don't have fumes currently

we are installing central air in over the winter - however i thought running the attic fan woudl off set the cost of running the CA system

Did you look at the links provided.

A power attic ventilator (PAV) and a whole house fan are two different animals.

yes,
    after seeing them it is a whole house fan that I have - it is about 5 feet in diameter
    mounted on the wall of the attic

I also found this link

http://www.dom.com/customer/efficien...entilation.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by New Home LI View Post
    an oil burner

burner brand new and properly exhausted

so I am confident I don't have fumes currently
    Yes, I should have said (almost) anything that has a flame needs combustion air.

With all the windows open and the fan on low, probably no problem.

With windows closed and fan on high, the fan has to take air in from somewhere, and it may be a flue. Kitchen and bathroom vent fans have one-way doors in them, so it can't come in there.

The direction of a candle flame held next to the flue when the flame is on will indicate if the air is being exhausted to the outside as it should be, or
    if the outside air along with combustion products are entering your house from the flue and then being removed through the attic by the fan.

The very small pressure difference between a flue working properly and ambient air pressure may be measured in fractions of an inch of water. A large fan can easily upset this balance.

As long as it NEVER runs with the windows closed, its ok.

Had a customer that ran his with only 1 window open. And drew the flame back through the burner. Melted the burner controls, and damaged the blast tube.
    It was NOT covered by warranty.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    As long as it NEVER runs with the windows closed, its ok.

Had a customer that ran his with only 1 window open. And drew the flame back through the burner. Melted the burner controls, and damaged the blast tube.
    It was NOT covered by warranty.
    I never heard of a blast tube till now, and now I am almost eeduucaatteeddd!

http://books.google.com/books?id=ubX...um=1&ct=result

Now I know why I had so much trouble with my Monkey Wards oil furnace. And then if the thing ran out of oil they had to bleed the lines, etc., etc..

I have had one in houses since 1948 [St Louis]--
    -- abet, all were in ceiling of living space --
    -- none here in high humid south = Nashville TN, Huntsville AL.
    -- -- lo outside RH= <60&#37;, normally between 10am & 8pm.
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!