Thread: Smoke detector tripping

Post Likes

Smoke detector tripping

All and any help here is appreciated. Have been out on this detector tripping numerous times. Have what I believe eliminating all potential causes outside of just replacing this thing. Restaurant claims no smoke is going into the return, have cleaned the detector filters, please help on this as I am on my out to this call again. Thanks

Post Likes
    I had this problem last year, one of the RTU's kept shutting down due the smoke detector. I cleaned it and reset it with no problems. About two days go by and get a call on the same unit. The smoke detector is tripped again and the customer said there was no smoke in the room to cause it. I buy a new smoke head and install it and about a week latter I get a call again. Same problem, smoke detector tripped. It turns out that the night shift guys are doing some plasma cutting in the room, it trips the smoke detector and by the time the 1st shift guys come in, there is no smoke in the room, but it is cold.
    I would replace the smoke head and see what happens.

Post Likes
    Had the same problem. The smoke detectors were system sensor type. The came factory installed in new Trane units. The units (2) serviced the kitchen area. They keep tripping and then the Fire Trucks would show up. Finally the alarm company replaced the complete detector with a detector they sell and the alarms went away. Never did get a answer to the problem

Post Likes
    Depending on the type of detector a lot of things can trip them. From working in a hospital enviornment I can tell you that construction dust and vapors can give you fits. Check what is happening out of the ordinary.

Post Likes
    Found smoke detector tripped. Removed the detector, found no dirt in holes, no holes in ducts; However, did find transformer set to 240 volts when only 205 coming in. Moved spade to the 208. Found 60A disconnect partially melted and its location was about a foot from a patched intake that was suspect to a leak on the far side. Asked manager if the cooks were starting the grills or fryers before turning on the exhaust hoods and he stated no as he is there when they open. Finally after replacing the disconnect I explained to him that we are gonna have to replace the detector with a key reset should this happen again. Did also duct tape the detector good as flex is coming up to the unit which is covered by a doghouse with plenty of areas for outside air to infiltrate. Had suspicions that pizza place next door burned some pizza and possibly sending smoke out exhaust hood which is 10 feet away.

Post Likes
    We have issues with steam from the showers in dorm type housing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

Post Likes
    three words- make up air. i had the same problem last year in a restaurant. when exhaust fans were energized, the building was under such a negative pressure that you could feel the outdoor air dropping down the returns with the units turned off. exhaust smoke was being re-introduced through the economizers and tripping the detectors. after installing make up air unit, never had another problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in