Why does furnace have an O terminal?

I have a 2-stage variable-speed Goodman high efficiency furnace. There is an 'O' (reversing valve) terminal on the terminal block with the other thermostat connections. None of the sample wiring diagrams show it being used.

I am trying to figure out what purpose this (an O terminal) serves on a furnace. The only thing I could come up with is maybe O on and G off tells the furnace that in a heat pump setup the heat pump is operating in heat mode, so the furnace fan should switch to heat speed instead of cooling speed? But that doesn't really make sense either since if it wasn't a heat pump there would be no O connection.

Which raises the question, when used with a heat pump, can the furnace tell when the heat pump is operating in heat mode and switch the fan to heat speed?

(I did find a wiring diagram for a Goodman fossil fuel kit (which I don't have, I have an IAQ stat with built-in fossil fuel capability)), and it shows O on the furnace wired to O on the 'furnace' section of the fossil fuel board, and that in turn connects to O on the heat pump and O on the stat.

"I gots ta know"

-jim-

Yes.
    The O terminal lets the furnace know if its blower should be in HP speed or cooling speed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have seen applications where the 0 terminal on the furnace circuit board is a dummy terminal. All it does is gives you a convenient spade terminal to hook up the O from the stat to the O on outside unit which in turns energizes the reversing valve.

In a variable speed application (as with the OP), the O signals cooling or heating to the variable speed module.

This will have an affect on the ramp profile of most OEM.

It can also help drive the humidifier signal.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks for setting me straight...I didn't read the post close enough to realize that it was variable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yes.
    The O terminal lets the furnace know if its blower should be in HP speed or cooling speed.
    But, what if I have straight AC instead of heat pump? O would be left unconnected (because there is no O), and the furnace would interpret this as heat mode.

Also the sample wiring diagrams in the furnace manual don't show O connected to anything.

It cause your furnace has an

Sorry - yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.

If there is a wire on that terminal and that wire never carries current in any operating mode then it must not do anything. . .?

Just have it serviced, and ask the tech those questions jim you will feel better about how the system was set up and operates ..........AND..........make sure you're good for the season, also establish a good relationship with a service contractor...........buy a Service Contract.....maybe.......

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    If there is a wire on that terminal and that wire never carries current in any operating mode then it must not do anything. . .?
    If you have A/C, the O terminal on some units still gets wired, or jumped.
    Varies with brand.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Dual fuel setup maybe........