Please help re: new construction

My wife and I are building a house in the Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville, NC at 3200' elevation. Our builder has a proposal from a HVAC contractor who has a good reputation with green builders in the area based on a Manual J prepared by a certified energy rater. I am a total layman on this stuff. I've read many posts here and can't begin to understand all of the nuances and technical details discussed. We are being offered the following:

EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS

Make: Trane Model Number(s): 4TWX6036B1000A 4TEE3F40B1000A BATHTR1410000A

SEER: 17.1 HSPF: 9.1 Btuh Cooling: 36,000 Btuh Heating: 36,000

I can post the entire proposal if necessary for your input (minus the pricing of course). Please let me know what if any additional information you would need to help me decide if this is a good system.

To repeat, this guy has excellent rep with many quality builders, but I just have no clue whether there's some other equipment combination that I should consider.

Additional info I'll post now: Icynene insulation; 2x6 framing; ICF daylight basement walls; southern exposure/passive solar with calculated glazing and overhangs; tight envelope.

thanks very much

All manufacturers, have good combos.
    The question is, what are you looking for in a good combination.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i would also consider a high effeceint air filter to help protect your investment, and help maintain system effeceincy.

mtnlaw

The "B" series XL16i is being phased out and replaced by the "C" series.

You might want to ask the Trane experts on this forum to explain the differences.

1106628 Discontinued Systems XL16I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX6036B1 4TEE3F40B1 36800 12.30 17.00 33200 9.20 22200

3187915 Active Systems XL16I WEATHERTRON TRANE 4TWX6036C1 4TEE3F40B1 36800 12.30 17.00 33200 9.20 22200

ref www.ahridirectory.org

Any concerns about adequate fresh air and humidity control during wet cool weather? If not, I will not bother you. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Thanks for the responses.

teddy bear: I forgot to include from the proposal that it includes a Venmar ERV and whole house media filter. The winters here don't tend to be particularly wet. Summers can bring humidity but not extreme.

been there: I suppose like anyone else what I am looking for is an efficient, reasonably-priced system sufficient to meet our cooling/heating/ventilation needs. Would it help to post excerpts from the Manual J?

Are there any Trane experts who can comment on the issues regarding the phaseout of the current XL16i per tigerdunes's comment?

thanks.

The load calc, can tell you how well the unit is matched to you and your homes needs
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?