+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In need of a thermostat

Post Likes

In need of a thermostat

I need a residential thermostat. 1 heat 1 cool. That has an adjustable differential.

Ex. Heat setpoint of 72* with a 3* differential. It will drop to 69* and heat upto 72*. This allows longer runtimes and allows hotter temps from the furnace.

Any tstats out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    May i ask why you would want this?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    That sounds really uncomfortable unless it's for some kind of utility purpose.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    I need a residential thermostat. 1 heat 1 cool. That has an adjustable differential.

Ex. Heat setpoint of 72* with a 3* differential. It will drop to 69* and heat upto 72*. This allows longer runtimes and allows hotter temps from the furnace.

Any tstats out there?

Old post 4-5 months ago someone said ACE hardware thermostat

Post Likes
    I have a buddy who has a propane bryant furnace going on his second year of heating with a new home.

90% in the basement 45k btu
    80% in attic 40kbtu

The unit in the basement has un insulated ductwork. The basement is unfinished but has insulated walls. Basement is half underground.

I have used an analyzer to tune the furnace and set the blower on low. I would have 115* - 120* air at the furnace but only 90-95* at the registers which are 20ft or so away.

I believe the duct is giving off radiant heat into the basement and loosing temp by the time it comes out of the registers. If the furnace runs for 15 mins or so, the temp at the registers is closer to the temp at the furnace.

I dont think he wants to go the route of insulating the duct so a thermostat would be nice.

Or i could add a 15min timer which holds the heat on regardless if the stat satisfies.

Post Likes
    What is the customer complaint? In my area it isnt uncommon to have un insulated ducts in basements they actaully need heat to avoid frozen pipes ect. Unfonished basememts usually have at least one or 2 supply vents for this purpose . the temp drop is mostly do to heating up the duct..as well as it simply mixing withe the cooler air in the ductwork at startup..

So what we really need is the original complaint.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
    RTB Mechanical
    734-315-0064
    http://rtbmechanical.com

Post Likes
    Some of the honeywell 8000's are adjustable... I think... it is in the install programming.

Might give HoneyWell tech support a call...

Google it...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I have a buddy who has a propane bryant furnace going on his second year of heating with a new home.

90% in the basement 45k btu
    80% in attic 40kbtu

The unit in the basement has un insulated ductwork. The basement is unfinished but has insulated walls. Basement is half underground.

I have used an analyzer to tune the furnace and set the blower on low. I would have 115* - 120* air at the furnace but only 90-95* at the registers which are 20ft or so away.

I believe the duct is giving off radiant heat

Radiant and convection heat

into the basement and loosing temp by the time it comes out of the registers. If the furnace runs for 15 mins or so, the temp at the registers is closer to the temp at the furnace.

I dont think he wants to go the route of insulating the duct so a thermostat would be nice.

Or i could add a 15min timer which holds the heat on regardless if the stat satisfies.

So the furnace is heating the house fine. Its just that he thinks the air should be coming out warmer?

The below, are usually 2° deadband stats. Set it for 72, heat comes on at 71, shuts off at 73.

http://luxproproducts.com/

Post Likes
    Jackson T-32-TS

Post Likes
    Yes. House heats fine. He just wants hotter air coming out of his gas furnace. There are 2 or 3 supplys in the basement.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yes. House heats fine. He just wants hotter air coming out of his gas furnace. There are 2 or 3 supplys in the basement.

Thanks

Without insulating the ducts, or heating the basement to 60/65 degrees. He is always going to have a long time of cooler air each heat call.

Post Likes

Thanks

you should tell him that what he want is going to make the house uncomfortable. it basically will be blanket on blanket off in the house just like back in the "good old days". In these cases educating the customer is usually better in the long run.

Post Likes
    The 115 - 120 degree temperature output is too high based on Temperature Rise = BTU divided by 1.08 times CFM.
    90% Furnace 45,000 B.T.U. Imput.....40,500 B.T.U. Output
    800 CFM.....116.9 degrees
    1000 CFM....107.5 degrees

80% Furnace 40,000 B.T.U. Imput.....32,000 B.T.U. Output
    800 CFM.....107 degrees
    1000 CFM...99.6 degrees

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RSWAFFER View Post
    The 115 - 120 degree temperature output is too high based on Temperature Rise = BTU divided by 1.08 times CFM.
    90% Furnace 45,000 B.T.U. Imput.....40,500 B.T.U. Output
    800 CFM.....116.9 degrees
    1000 CFM....107.5 degrees

80% Furnace 40,000 B.T.U. Imput.....32,000 B.T.U. Output
    800 CFM.....107 degrees
    1000 CFM...99.6 degrees
    Why do you think the furnaces are moving either 800, or 1,000 CFM. Why not 750 CFM. Which would give a 50°F temp rise.

Post Likes
    Carrier Edge Thermostats let you adjust the deadband between heat and cool

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in