+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone looking for a Career???

weber is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes

Anyone looking for a Career???

Seems like finding the right employees gets harder every year.....
    "Correct Installation is the Key"

.1 has killed more HX then Rush Limbaugh

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    I might be looking for a new career if the company I am with goes under. I wanted to get into the HVAC field in 05 but I found it difficult to get in. I was told the way in was through installation, which would be fine. So, I started looking into install helper jobs and such.

I remember one place told me they wanted someone with 18 months experience for that job. I thought great you have to have a year and a half experience for the entry level job. Come on. They probably were not interested and told me that. Another place I looked into went under about a year later. That was in Pensacola, FL.

I am originally from Louisiana and I ended up finding a service tech position in commercial/industrial laundry equipment. The field is not bad and it's a lot of electrical and mechanical troubleshooting. However, I am worried about the health of the company, which I posted in another thread. Also, the commercial laundry field is pretty small so there are not a lot of positions out there.

So, I might be looking again, but finding the right company gets harder every year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by weber View Post
    I got the same problem here man. They say they can do it, but then can't. If they do learn it they think you should pay them 100k/year

Post Likes
    I find that statement untrue... Yes I can understand it may be a bit difficult finding someone you can trust and someone that wants to work, but they are out there... Company's need to start offering employers incentives to work hard and be a trustworthy loyal worker, start them at one wage and immediately upon them working hard show them that you acknowledge their hard work by giving them a raise. Its only hard to find good workers because company's are too busy always looking out for their own pockets and hardly ever think about what there employers need. So company owners then might say well why should i pay this person that much and my take will be lower... At first this is true, but look in the long run with a good worker, you'll end up making more in the long run.

I am one of those good workers, I worked with my last boss and pretty much ran the company when he needed someone to. He had surgery and i was handling a 180K contract, he went on vacation and I handled all incoming service calls and few start ups as well as 2 installation jobs. I ran his 5 man crew from job to job making sure things were going smooth, material lists, last min changes that needed to be done. With all of these things I was making alright money but surely no where near enough. I managed get the 180k contract job done 2 months ahead of schedule... Think i got a bonus?

Overall, company owners need to start paying there guys who they want to keep, when you interview someone and tell them that you cant start them at what they want but will give them a review, Actually follow through with it, rather then having them come ask you for it a month after you said you would review there progress/work. Treat an employee as you would want to be treated, and you shall see more good workers out there... Some of the people company's consider bad workers are actually good workers if they were treated correctly.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you did your job very well, but why would you deserve a bonus? A raise maybe or a promotion but why a bonus?

Keeping people is easy, finding them is hard......

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Sounds like you did your job very well, but why would you deserve a bonus? A raise maybe or a promotion but why a bonus?

Keeping people is easy, finding them is hard......
    Isnt a bonus easier to write off? The job was priced out for 5 months of work but was finished in 3, not only that but with a plan change that I brought up to him, he ended up saving 20k about. I figured a bonus because some friends that i know would get bonuses when finishing a job earlier then expected.. He was also a supervisor/manager but was his responsibility to also give the guys in his crew a piece of his bonus.

Not only that, before the job was started he had gone through everything with me saying it was priced out for 5 months and so on, in which he also mentioned that if maybe possible to get it done in a shorter time that he would take care of me. That was the main reason behind expecting a bonus.

Post Likes
    Case by case may be different, but just because a job gets finished early doesn't mean you should get a bonus, what if it took 2 months more, would you work for free?

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Good thread...kudos
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Post Likes
    Lots of employers seem to promise a career... Worked at a few of those.

Post Likes
    Case by case may be different, but just because a job gets finished early doesn't mean you should get a bonus, what if it took 2 months more, would you work for free?
    OK...........devils advocate................

If he got the done done in 3 months, and the bid price included labor for 5 months..............shouldn't the co. be writeing a check to the customer? Sounds like stealing to me.

Post Likes
    On one side I see the business mentality and the other the working man mentality it's little wonder that with out both sides of the picture working together business run into $$$ problems and employee problems.
    I personally think if the job was preformed ahead of schedule and profit was earned over and above projection it should be ear marked solely for benefits of the employee like a pension or medical benefits spending plan or a tool buying program for the employees. It may not be the instant gratification that a cash bonus at the end of job is but health care and retirement is something that we all need that continues to rise right along with the cost of tools.

Post Likes

I'm right here Webster......

What ya gonna do about it???
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Gotta e-mail yesterday, JCI is hiring
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Post Likes
    JCI meaning johnson controls?

They are closing most of there places in my area, I would be surprised if they are hiring that they are not transfering employees...

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    I'm right here Webster......

What ya gonna do about it???
    Thats one hell of a drive to work.......

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    Thats one hell of a drive to work.......
    true.

Unless I move back home Then I am much closer.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    I'm sure I could find a place for you....

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    I offered Bender a job making 6 digits........

ex wife and shared custody prevented him from accepting......

What is your TESP?

Post Likes
    I'm sure I could find a place for you....
    what all do you do????

I aint a fan of resi work. I'm a refer head now!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricoch3T View Post
    I got the same problem here man. They say they can do it, but then can't. If they do learn it they think you should pay them 100k/year

See, I am on the same page with some of these issues that owners bring up. I mean it's BS when you get employees who don't deliver on what they said they could. However, I can give you the other side of the coin. At my job I do what I said I could and at the wage that was agreed to. Now, when I took the position I was told there was a health plan that I could get into where I pay a % of the costs. I thought fine sounds good.

Well, that part of the agreement never materialized. Later I end up having to get an operation and now I'm left with 10k in medical bills. On top of that all OT is cut even though we easily have enough service calls to do 50+ hour weeks. Now the company wants techs to work long days early in the week and then take off the last day of the week to keep it at 40 hours.

I understand owners have financial issues and cash flow to manage. However not delivering on their end of the hiring agreement and telling your techs, without saying the words, to work long days unless it's OT is a bit much.

I mean on this website maybe it is the case the owners are squared away and do the right thing. To many of the workers out here it's hard to find good companies just as much as it is hard for owners to find the people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in