+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two Bad Millivolt Generators

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Two Bad Millivolt Generators

Hello all. I use to be a swimming pool tech. many years ago and know something about gas heaters. A friend is about to get his 3rd Generator that I ordered online. I'm concerned if I just give it to him without ohm-ing everything out he'll just toast this one also.

So, can the system short out the millivolt generator and ruin it?

He took the book back to his house so I don't have the numbers here. Can someone give me a quick run down on what to look for and how TP , TC , and other things should be tested and how they work.

I just know he'll want to install it right away and not give me a chance to scan the book again and figure out what is wrong with this fireplace before we have another dead generator.

Thanks, part and labor are free for this guy.

Post Likes
    I dont know how one could fry a TP unless you hook it up to high voltage...

Post Likes
    first off depending on the unit, some have both a thermopile and a thermocouple, if u have the thing apart and are replacing one might as well do the other as well, but as a free acct thats ur call.

secondly whats happening that u think its frying? thats pretty hard to accomplish. they're typically pretty resilient creatures.

a thermopile is simply a bunch of little thermocouples connected in series inside the thermopile. thus increasing voltage from 30 millivolts or so to 750 mv or whatever urs is.

as far as testing...light the pilot, be sure its properly in the flame and check voltage at the connections. should be near the rated voltage of the tp/tc.

test a t-couple the same way just put ur probes on the tip n ring on the end that plugs into the GV. u can get one of those little tester deals that plugs in between the t-couple and the GV but they come apart and i think they're a waste of time personally.

Post Likes

Exclamation qualified tech?

I would not be ordering parts for someone else to install. You would be responsible should something go wrong.

Post Likes
    Some pilot assemblies can cook a t-pile. I have seen it once before. After 3 t-piles replaced I called the manufacturers distributor and they knew all about it and sent me a new pilot assembly which solved the problem.

Post Likes
    I'd get someone out there who can diagnose the actual problem, of which there could be several. Guessing and supposing doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by My77GMC View Post
    first off depending on the unit, some have both a thermopile and a thermocouple, if u have the thing apart and are replacing one might as well do the other as well, but as a free acct thats ur call.

secondly whats happening that u think its frying? thats pretty hard to accomplish. they're typically pretty resilient creatures.

a thermopile is simply a bunch of little thermocouples connected in series inside the thermopile. thus increasing voltage from 30 millivolts or so to 750 mv or whatever urs is.

as far as testing...light the pilot, be sure its properly in the flame and check voltage at the connections. should be near the rated voltage of the tp/tc.

test a t-couple the same way just put ur probes on the tip n ring on the end that plugs into the GV. u can get one of those little tester deals that plugs in between the t-couple and the GV but they come apart and i think they're a waste of time personally.

Sorry, but I must disagree. Taking an open read may show a tcouple read of say 20mv, when in reality it is 0-2 or 3 under load. Also you need to take a dropout read on the valve power unit. The same apply's for PG's
    Your meter is your best friend.

Post Likes
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few TP's and several TC's tht failed only under load, and have to be tested into a load to see the fault on a meter.

To save time, I made a little 2ohm shunt resistor on a 2 prong banana plug adapter that I can plug into my meter, then plug my probes into that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in