Minneapolis jobs

Minneapolis jobs

Hi I am going to be attending school at Hennepin Technical College. I will be receiving my HVAC diploma. How does the job outlook look in the future. I have been thinking about joining a union after I graduate. I have been thinking about joining SMW local 10. Is this a good union to join.

hey man, i went there as well... had skip as my instructor.Stay away of s/m union and go with the fitters. mho better all around. good luck

did you take the residentail or did you get your degree? Which program in the pipefitters did you go construction or hvac service?

I heard to stay away from the fitters and go with local 10. I'm not in a union, but then again, they're not looking for anyone now, they have lots of guys on the bench.

apply for both of them.

Things are not great here in the cities. Bolth unions have lots of guys on the bench. Lots of companies are laying off, some have called it quits. The few places that are looking for nonunion help are "always looking" and are not the kind of employers you would want to end up at for the long term. I'm not saying don't go to school or kill your dream, just be realistic about how your getting your start.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

DO you have any idea how work is in centeral or northern minnesota right now? IS it better to get into commercial or residential right now?

plumbers/fitters. is a great union to join. im outta local 33 des moines.

Quote Originally Posted by bl19811 View Post
    DO you have any idea how work is in centeral or northern minnesota right now? IS it better to get into commercial or residential right now?
    The word we hear everywhere is commercial, not residential. Retrofits will continue to be strong as energy costs rise. Lots of 'green' building and 'rebuilding' going on in MN.

To find Minnesota jobs: go to MEP Jobs, select 'HVAC Service Technician' from the dropdown, and Minnesota in the state drop down. You can narrow it down from there. You can also set up a Job alert. And once you graduate, definitely post your resume!

Good luck!
    JeffatMEPJobs

Quote Originally Posted by bl19811 View Post

You should talk to Chad711 on this board, he is up by Bemidji, MN.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!