York Affinity 9.c duct connection

Hello, Can anyone tell me if it is normal to have a 1/4 inch gap at the top of a furnace? I have a York 9.C and at the top of the furnace there are what appear to be two plastic boxes with two hex screws for condensate drains from each box. Above this is the top of the furnace where the duct hooks to the unit. Running air escapes from the unit through this gap. I have the unit mounted horizontally. It appears that something is missing from the installation.

I have attached a photo which shows the drain and the gap that is just above the drain. I believe the gap runs the entire length of the furnace but the front cover blocks your view.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ask the installer to seal it with a little silicone. Possibly the coil could be shifted back a little to reduce the opening. This is a pretty common area for leaks on all brands. You could just slap some chrome tape over it.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Doesn't look like the coil is mounted in the case right.

Looks like they lost the factory screws too. And the screws they are using, aren't holding the access panel on right.

Might want them to come back and make sure the coil is locked in right, and not allowing air to bypass it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Is the furnace paraelle to the plenum ? It would appear by looking at the photo if this is on only one corner of the furnace it would mean that wither the plenum is not square onto the furnace or the furnace isn't set square to the plenum but it could also be that if they made a new plenum that theres a possibility the new plenum was not made right so it fits tight against the opening of the furnace. Maybe try to jack that particular corner of the furnace up to the opening between the plenum and furnace and maybe get a self tapping screw on the corner to close the gap but I bet that's the problem the 2 just are not sitting paraelle to each other.

Does it even have a plenum, it looks like to me they put duct board on the coil and cut in a coller.

If you are looking for advice on real corrective measures, post a wider camera angle. I believe there is much more going on than an air leak! If you just want to stop air from coming out slap some tape on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
    If you are looking for advice on real corrective measures, post a wider camera angle. I believe there is much more going on than an air leak! If you just want to stop air from coming out slap some tape on it.
    It appears that the PVC pipe is pulling the coil out of the unit.
    I definitely don't want tape on the unit, I don't believe the furnace was designed that way. I have had these guys over here for the past week trying to get this right and the attention to small details is starting to worry me. I wish I could just remove the front door and move it myself. But then there is the warranty. I just don't see how they can remove that door without damage! The coolant tube is blocking the door as well as the PVC drain.
    The extension tube is to add bleach but then you knew that.
    Would it be possible to replace the PVC pipe and move the coil back into place? It appears to have some movement but the wall is restricting any movement as you can see in the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Could be worse. Silicone and permagum looks like your best bet.

Why would they install the coil that direction ?
    isn't the other end supposed to be on the furnce.
    That could be why the gap is present.

The opening is away from the blower so the air is hitting the top plate of the coil.
    That would cause back pressure to the air flow, Before the air can even get moving.

Also the round flex duct instead of a trunk line worries me alittle.
    Where does the large flexduct go ?
    Is it going to some large distibrution box with smaller runs of that?

If so, then what hacks did this to ya
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Actually, FC coils installed Horizontal left are installed that way.

Should have used a plenum, or sq to round transition instead of just using round flex attached to it directly though.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Beenthere is right, the coil can be installed that way. The gap is normal in any configuration of that model. It just needs to be sealed. the panel is not intended to be removed unless it's necessary to access the coil. Just seal it up and don't worry about it. I would be concerned with that lack of supply plenum unless it goes a short distance to some kind of diffuser.

Smile

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise!!!
    I can always find the right answers here.
    I finally had the gap sealed and the unit is working fine.