Bird in furnace vent

I have a condensing furnace with a horizontal concentric vent. A week or so ago it quit working and the problem was traced to bird nest material in the furnace vent. I've since had a duct cleaning company clean out the debris.

What can be done to prevent this in the future? I've heard that any kind of screen/mesh small enough to exclude critters will likely ice up in the winter and cause the furnace to shut down. Is this true even if the screen/mesh is held a fair distance (say 6" or so) from the vent outlet? I'm thinking of possibly putting something like a mesh chimney cap over the vent outlet...

It seem that without doing something to discourage the birds they'll be right back. Any ideas are welcome...

-Gopher

it's called bird screen.....put it in there.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

here is a easy and cheap way use two galvenized nails and drill threw the c-vent kit and put the nails in the holes

My customers ask me that alot and I tell them if they put screen on and for some reason they have no heat check the screen first for ice build up. For the last 2 years one of my customers has a 90% payne unit and on extremely cold days the intake was iced up causing furnace not to run. Last year when it happened same thing but was not as bad from previous year and I found a screen up in the intake of the elbow pointing down so I took screen out and now waiting to see what happens this year. Hopefully by taking screen out it won't happen again.

@tinner: I indicated that I had considered screen or mesh and rejected that due to the possibility of ice buildup. Perhaps you know something I don't???

@dietz: That explains the two nails in the vent outlet! They appear to be rusting pretty badly and apparently were no help in keeping the bird out. I don't think they would be effective for any but the largest birds/critters. I may try replacing those with new and longer nails/screws.

Has anyone tried putting the screen/mesh further up into the outlet so that it perhaps stays warmer and is less likely to suffer ice buildup?

Someone must have a solution to this! If not, here is an opportunity to make a boat load of money (simple/cheap products usually seem to be the ones that make the most money)...

Put one of those plastic owls right over the pipe.

I live in GA so Ice is not really a problem here but I would put the 1\2 inch mesh in a bubble shape over the end of the pipe.

Here's an idea that goes against orthodoxy: screen mesh held on by pipe clamps.

Furnace is a 100k 92% but after five years of run time we have never had to go back for icing problem.

In this case I think we were just fortunate it never froze up due to location on wall.

Mesh wasn't my idea. HO took it on himself to put the screen mesh on iit on.