Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The honeywell IAQ will run the blower motor in first stage and will allow between 1 to 3 degrees of over cooling to satisfy dehumidification setting.(1-3 degrees past set point) Slowing down the blower allows the system to remove much more moisture.

Heaters (elect, HP or Gas) do not dry out the air... where's the condensate in heat mode? People get this perception when the unit runs a lot because the air gets dryer... but actually it's the other way around. When it is cold outside, the humidity is much lower and as a result of the low temperature outside the heater runs more. The air is dryer because of low outdoor humidity.

Now, cooling is another story... One solution to excessive moisture removal in cooling could be to increase the airflow... assuming it will increase. The new 5 ton system on the old 3.5 ton duct may be have restricted the airflow to the point of excessive latent moisture removal.

Low airflow can also exasperate ozone production in EACs.

Until I see some actual humidity and temperature numbers posted, both indoors and out, I would attribute the "dry" symptoms to something other than actual low humidity levels. It just does not ring true, from a psychrometric standpoint, that a heat pump system running in a humid climate like Florida is causing a house to dry out to where it irritates nasal passages and throats. If this is indeed a heat pump, we do not even have combustion air issues to discuss. Leaky attic ductwork, perhaps, but even so I'd want to know what the outdoor dewpoints are running at when the "dryness" complaints are lodged.

I would be looking for other irritants.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Until I see some actual humidity and temperature numbers posted, both indoors and out, I would attribute the "dry" symptoms to something other than actual low humidity levels. It just does not ring true, from a psychrometric standpoint, that a heat pump system running in a humid climate like Florida is causing a house to dry out to where it irritates nasal passages and throats. If this is indeed a heat pump, we do not even have combustion air issues to discuss. Leaky attic ductwork, perhaps, but even so I'd want to know what the outdoor dewpoints are running at when the "dryness" complaints are lodged.

I would be looking for other irritants.
    I have to agree based on what the OP stated and the fact that with the clean effects turned off the symptoms abated, I lean toward O3 sensitivity.

I think we should revisit the cause of high ozone. In my opinion it is low air flow thru the air cleaner due to the up sizing of the equipment and not upsizing the duct size for the higher air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMom&Wife View Post
    Well, last Thursday we had installed a XLi16 SEER 2-speed system from a local Trane authorized dealer (we are in Pensacola, FL). I interviewed and compared 10 different quotes, because, well, what the heck?? I had the time and the weather is really great right now!! I went with this dealer because he was the only one that requested a formal load calculation to be performed by our local electric company, and his prices were in line with everyone elses, and he seems like a very nice, likeable person.
    Just after showing me the generals of the system, and after completion, he set it the fan on 'auto' and since the nights were a little cool outside, we set the heat to 72degrees. The next morning we were so sick we couldn't barely open our eyes and our throats were dry/scratchy. I thought it was a cold coming on or something. We went out all day and evening (Friday was trick-or-treating) and felt better by the end of the day. Saturday we woke up so dry I could barely talk at all and had to use a ton of eye-drops and take 2 showers just to clear my sinuses. I turned off the 'auto' fan and just had the heater set really high so it wouldn't come on, and opened all the windows. That helped because it's so humid here.
    Sunday same thing.
    Monday we were so sick and so DRY, that I thought it's got to be the new HVAC system taking out too much moisture. Then I figured, hey, we haven't been sick, we haven't been around anyone sick, and we are all pretty healthy. (we don't have any other allergies except I'm allergic to cats) No asthma or whatever else. So Tuesday morning I called the dealer and told them how sick we were and help!! They came out and suggested we turn off the clean-effects filter just to see if we might be allergic to ozone. We turned it off, and within 4 hours we were much much better. One shower and I cleared up my sinuses, we went outside for a walk, went to sleep and Wednesday woke up, called the dealer, and said we don't want the cleanEffects air cleaner since it caused us to get so sick. They say it cannot be removed!! Is this true?
    Also, even though their description included "modifications to heater closet" , when they started to install the clean-effects filter, they told me I had to pay a carpenter about $400 to widen the doorway and add a new door to the closet, since it was 1 inch too narrow. I paused, and then asked them just how worth is that? I didn't really want to pay extra $400 just for a filter. They assured me it was SOOO worth it.
    NOw that I know we got sick from the clean-effects filter, and after the dealer said the Trane representative said we would just turn it 'down' to the lowest ozone setting, my doctor has said that that would be stupid. If we're allergic to some, then we're allergic to 'a little'. Dealer doesn't want to remove it or refund. What should I do??? I've written an email question to The Trane web-site and am awaiting a response. (Other than this, we were happy generally with the Dealer and with Trane, so far at least!!)
    Do I have to pay for this? (actually, we already put it on credit card) The filter cost $1000 (in addition to $400 closet door, which has not been done yet, and the inspector has not approved everything yet, because a couple of holes have to be patched in the base wood panel holding up the unit in the closet) Thanks for any help!!!
    An Army Mom & Wife
    IAQ in residential ?
    Thought you might want to read this before you make any harsh decisions.
    http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081111/aqtu048.html?.v=79

What ever happen to fresh air ventilation and a good simple air filter? We have to make it so complicated and we do not even supply any fresh air! This is sad story. All indoor air quality experts agree the very home needs a clean, fresh air change every 4-5 hours when occupied. The indoor humidity should be <50%RH.
    Check out ASHRAE/EPA/American Lung Ass. web sites for info. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234