+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Signs your company is about to cut people or close the doors?

Post Likes
    The current times are different for what signs to watch for; for instance the supplier's credit departments are tightening payment terms.

A month before Christmas 2007 one Florida HVAC contractor layed off 400 +/-installers but is still in business. He was doing approx. 20,000 systems a year.

Some companies are having to remove the tires and tags from trucks/vans that are not being used so as not to have to insure them. We're talking fleets of vehicles not 4 or 5.

To the gentleman that is getting 40 hours a week I would recommend being thankful for what you have.

One contractor here that was doing 12 RNC jobs a week is now lucky to have 12 service calls a week.

Post Likes

Hmm recent lay off

we just laid off five guys last week. our big prob right now is getting people to pay us. we have right at $200.000 in the unpaid stack. makes it hard for us to pay the bills. we are curantly having to pay with a check at supply houses.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianf View Post
    To the gentleman that is getting 40 hours a week I would recommend being thankful for what you have.
    I don't really have a problem with getting the 40 hours, and I have been doing that. One of the problems is we are still being given the same amount of calls and expected to get 50+ hours done in 40. We have plenty of service calls to do but if we cut back the hours then the amount of completed calls is going to have to go down.

I talked to my service manager last week about it and he agrees but apparently the issue is out of his hands. We are supposed to have a meeting this morning about many of these issues. I guess we will see what happens.

Post Likes
    I would say better find another job, and have it written in stone before I turned in a notice at the one you have now. Texas has a strong economy, and our work has slowed down also. I have been working at here for 3 years also, but, I'm not ready to jump ship, and try and find another job the way the economy is at the present time.

Stay the storm, you might be glad you did.
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    As the new owner of a company that I was a tech for over twenty years and and very
    loyal. when my old boss retire he sold me the company for a dollar that was the building and the trucks a five man crew being loyal to the company will pay off.
    You all have to work for one goal not for a pay check my company is small but strong doing about 1 1/2 mill. a year still running the way my old boss ran it be loyal to all
    and it will take care of it self

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ceohvac View Post
    As the new owner of a company that I was a tech for over twenty years and and very
    loyal. when my old boss retire he sold me the company for a dollar that was the building and the trucks a five man crew being loyal to the company will pay off.
    You all have to work for one goal not for a pay check my company is small but strong doing about 1 1/2 mill. a year still running the way my old boss ran it be loyal to all
    and it will take care of it self
    When that one goal is reached is everyone going to get the same paycheck?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clintkennon View Post
    When that one goal is reached is everyone going to get the same paycheck?
    if you are really loyal to the company the goal is to make sure you all get a part of the pie as the owner get the biggest and then like arun on a ladder the higher you are the more you get as owner you have to make around 38 to 40 % on the job to stay in the black. When I becamethe ownermy pay was cut by 800.00 no overtime no money on the backside of a job But is it going to get better I hope I have a good crew work as one of them for a long time may be owner but I will always be a tech first love and only is in that van doing what I do best

Post Likes
    Sounds good and I hope you do that for your employees. But nowa days most companies want to use and abuse you then throw you away when their done. I don't mean to sound bitter but things are changing. I keep a good attitude and try to bring in as much as i can but those ata boys sure don't pay the rent. So what do I do to get loyalty from my employer.

Post Likes
    Sounds good and I hope you do that for your employees. But nowa days most companies want to use and abuse you then throw you away when their done. I don't mean to sound bitter but things are changing. I keep a good attitude and try to bring in as much as i can but those ata boys sure don't pay the rent. So what do I do to get loyalty from my employer.
    stay strong the guys who jump ship for more pay will get it when we are
    slammed and they are the first to go when we are slow. I have never worked
    hvac until I went to work with my company so that is all I know I have seen
    more guys come and go in 22 years then any were I have worked.My old boss said that the rat will run first when time get hard real men stay and fight if you like the people you work for hang in. My employees. are like my brothers they was with me when my son was born and when my wife mother died I hope Aim always loyal to them]were are you at

Post Likes
    The ATL where the playaz play.

NE georgia.

Post Likes
    The ATL where the playaz play.

NE georgia.
    I wish you the best hope to see around the site
    from cleveland ohio

Post Likes
    Twilli says the number 1 reason is: the owners wife starts to street walk
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Word.
    See, the human mind is kind of like... a piñata. When it breaks open, there's a lot of surprises inside. Once you get the piñata perspective, you see that losing your mind can be a peak experience. ~Jane Wagner

Post Likes
    13 guys let go since nov 1st

service manager downgraded to service tech.

yes, i'd say its real tight here too

all i know is what i gotta do to make sure i am around longer! and all the way to the end if need be!!!
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    I had a company that went under, their truck sat in my yard for three months, with expired tags. Tried to get rid of it, the company that owned it had also gone under. Repo company showed up finally to get it, it was so shady I called the police, three days later they had all their paper work in order, the guy made threats against me because the tags were expired and battery was dead. Police called again, the bank finally called and was nice as pie, I told them they needed tags, even if they were temporary, and a battery. Asked them where they'd been for the past three months as it had been reported to two different state police, and I kept refreshing them on it. What a mess that was, but at least I got every last one of my tools off the truck. As for a warning they were chapter 11, but according to them they were going to pull out of it.

Post Likes
    I was off today and my boss says there is no work next week for me either he fired me or were outta work or there i nothing for me to do.Atleast i got paid

Post Likes
    Owner goes to rehab....???
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

Post Likes
    We had snow (flurries) Nov 21. We NEVER have flurries for a day or couple of hours until Jan or Feb. Work was slow!!! until that cold streak. We didnt have an OT call for weeks.... last weekend I ran 5. So at least its picked up some. I would love more OT... but as long as I get 40hrs a week it will be ok.
    We only have 3 true service techs and a maint guy, and 2 install crews...
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleheadski View Post
    We had snow (flurries) Nov 21. We NEVER have flurries for a day or couple of hours until Jan or Feb. Work was slow!!! until that cold streak. We didnt have an OT call for weeks.... last weekend I ran 5. So at least its picked up some. I would love more OT... but as long as I get 40hrs a week it will be ok.
    We only have 3 true service techs and a maint guy, and 2 install crews...
    Got to love a few snow flakes, a unit could make noise for months on end, without a call. Get a little snow and the phone rings of the hook. This is true for commercial and residental.

Post Likes
    1. owner/management starts *****ing at you about things that YOU and THEY know are out of your control (goal: to create an environment where they can say you did wrong and have good reason to be terminated)

2. writeups/warnings for no good reason, or like above, things that YOU and THEY know are out of your control (goal: to create a written/documented record of "poor performance", that can be portrayed as reckless disregard for your boss's business and/or insubordination, so that they can contest your unemployment benefits)

3. being questioned on aspects of your job that you were never questioned on before (goal: again, to pry into every little detail of how you do your job so they can make you the bad guy by finding something ... anything ... to use against you.

4. erratic angry behavior at company meetings by the owner where you leave feeling that you were not talked to, but instead were warned that THIS IS HOW IT IS GOING TO BE. sales or hours quotas.

5. being called into a meeting over some "dispute" with a fellow coworker, a dispute that both you and he agree didn't happen. when owner/management starts getting into the gossip business. well so-and-so said that you said this about so-and-so, and blah blah blah, are you guys going to be able to get along or what? and you are both looking at eachother like what the hell is going on?

basically, the common theme that you will find in all five of my above examples is this: when you objectively see that attempts are being made to "make you the bad guy" or to "make the techs the bad guy" in general, you better start looking. don't wait around my man........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in