Scrap copper carry permit in NC?

Was anyone aware of the new law passed in April that requires you to go to the sheriffs office to get a permit to transport more than 25 lbs. of copper in your vehicle? A coworkers nephew had to go to court to defend himself after the sheriffs dept went to scrap yard and pulled receipts to see if permits were pulled. He had 32 lbs. and had to explain to the judge he was a an A\C tech. and where the copper came from.

you sure that's not a local thiing.............just took 42# couple weeks ago
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

State law. Call your sheriffs dept. They don't ask for it at the scrap yard. If the sheriffs dept. pulls your name( if you give them your drivers license) on a scrap yard receipt you better have a permit.

Probably to cut down on the all the thefts of coils and wire.

sucks for us but it is putting a hurting on those damn theiving meth head basturds

Now that the price of CO is down well below $2.00, they finally start doing something about it... and I bet the permit thingy will go on for decades...

Government...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

You will probably get a 1099 from them now. It's income and the gov't will want its share of taxes from it. There is a place where I'm at that if I take my service vehicle with signs on the side you have to fill out a W4 for taxes, if I take the signs off or take my own truck, you don't. Go figure. Greedy ass gov't. Like we don't pay enough taxes already, penalized to recycle.

Overall I would consider that a good law with the way things have become, i.e. stolen RTU coils, etc.

Is this the only state thus far to have such a law?

When I worked for a mechanical contractor we always used that scrap copper money for some pretty awesome parties, jumbo shrimp, crabs, beer, etc. for all. I often wish in the controls world that we had the same sort of thing to recycle and party with

you do.....it just takes a lot of those skinny aaaaazzzzzzzz wires to fill a 5 gal bucket
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Florida has one too that just went into effect. It is about time...Now they have to carry it across the border to Georgia.