My Thoughts on the election
I just read McCain concession speech and I can say it was very moving. Made me very proud that he was able to say the things he did. It was a proper ending to this mess of an election.
The reasons why I feel McCain lost:
1) The democrats had a very messy primary. All the dirt was out on Obama. When people say “the media is so left/biased” I have to laugh, for the longest time the media was trashing this guy and trying to connect him with all sorts of wack jobs. I don’t think the media loved Obama, I think they loved to sell news and get ratings.
2) Nearly every night, and every headline were clips of McCain and Plain trashing Obama. I think this turned a lot of people off. They kept trying to play defense when they should have been going offensive.
3) McCain almost had the organized labor vote. The unions weren’t that quick to get behind Obama, in fact they were mostly split. However McCain had some union busting things on his agenda. If he would have crossed that stuff off on his campaign to do list, he stood a shot at carrying a union vote.
4) He should have distanced himself from Bush more.
5) Palin. Sarah turned out to be a better pit bull in lipstick then running mate. I think a lot of the republicans he lost were turned off by her. The media lobbed some easy questions at her and she couldn’t give a straight answer.
6) It was clear by last spring the economy was in trouble. If he would started talking economy as a primary goal of his agenda he might have won.
7) I think in many ways McCain got his party’s nomination because he was possibly the only man that might be able to straighten out the situation in Iraq. Nevertheless Iraq was put on the back burner for now. The biggest issue was the economy and McCain was weak when it came to campaigning based on the economy.
8) I am really bummed that Giuliani didn’t run a better campaign. He would have had my vote. He is a moderate republican. That’s what I like.
9) Why is it that now all the guys in this board are saying things like…
Im going to move to Canada
Im turning my flag upside down
But when Obama’s wife said he was not proud of our country people were up in arms. That looks and smells like hypocrisy to me!
10) Just talked to a friend that is stationed in Texas. Hes been to Iraq once already. Going back again this winter. He said “ONLY BAD CAN COME OF THIS” “that’s a dream of his, not gonna happen” (reffering to pulling out of Iraq) “he is full of ****, the army is not happy” I disagree with him but none the less that’s just one soldiers opinion.
11) I have high hopes for this presidency. I think anything will be better then the last 8 years.
“the media is so left/biased” I have to laugh,
sorry, I had to stop reading at this point...you lost all credibility after writing the above.
I guess you missed the survey that ranked the national news and their negative vs positive statements about Obama and McCain. Do you really believe the media was not bias for Obama in this election? wow
I have to agree, last night when I was watching the big three ( ABC, NBC, CBS) it was ALL ABOUT Obama. There was NOTHING from or about McCain..........freaking pathetic
Originally Posted by geepo12
I think my guardian angel drinks
Originally Posted by ChristopherNJ
You know what they say, you can hope in one hand and s$it in the other and see which fills up first.
You obviously weren't around for Jimmah Carter. To say anything is better than the last 8 yrs. is naive at best, that's what they were saying in Germany in the 30's. Remember how that worked out for 'em? What do you HOPE the Pres. will do for you? He shouldn't do anything but get the gov't out of your way. He is not Santa! Jeeeezzzz.........
McCain "the maverick" lost because he didn’t have a clear plan, his poorly ran campaign was geared to anyone but the conservatives republicans.
McCain did not deserved the victory, he is part of the many things that are wrong with the "modern" Republican Party. I’m somehow happy about his defeat.
Hopefully the republicans learned the lesson, they wont win another election by trying to be like democrats, the party needs to go back to the Reagan era of no apologies and shake up all the left leaning cowards like the ultimate looser, we dont need another left! why settle for imitators when we can have the real deal?
I didn't realy care for ANY of the candidates.
I voted for the lesser of all evils.
ChristopherNJ you seem as biased and deceived as any liberal that has opened his mouth.
You seem blind to the media's lies and liberals as well.
Not that the conservatives are perfect, they just want EACH person to support THEMSELVES not be supported by sharing YOUR welth with them....
just my 2 cents.
Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.
Some real good insight there, pope. Democrats: Coke Classic.........Moderate Republicans: New Coke. Nothing like the real thing.
Originally Posted by hvacpope
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
More like Classic with a little coke added to motivate their base if you know what I mean.
Originally Posted by whec720
"I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
Sen. Barry Goldwater
Would someone tell me when a conservative will stand up and fight ? I'm A Libertarian. that voted Johnny boy. And i really hope this is a wake up call
i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.
I think the basic problem with the election in general is this:
On one hand we have John McCain, the quintessential patriotic American. he has a proven record on ethics and is above reproach when it comes to Honesty,integrity and patriotism.
On the other hand we have Barak Obama, who has 20+ year association with radical religious, anti-America zealots. Who's only "service" to America is..........well, I can't think of anything? His "associates" are either anti-American nut jobs or in jail. Other than that, I actually like the guy.
The good news is, in 4 years we get to try again. The bad news is, if Obama and Democrats screws up enough (fail to keep there promise) the damage maybe unrepairable.
My only request of our President elect, is KEEP YOUR PROMISES :flg: If you fail to do that, i will do everything in my power to see your DO NOT get re-elected.........as is my right
God help us all
I think my guardian angel drinks
Yeah, the media were totally against Obama right from the start. That's why Saturday Night Live was making such fun of them--they hoped to get them to totally lighten up. Hillary saw it too, she knew it wasn't right, she really hated the way the media gave her total passes on things and then hit Obama so hard--everything came out in those primaries! I mean, no reporters talked about the 'tingles' they felt about Obama and that's for sure!
I'm mrs reb and I approve THIS message!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
I thought the same thing about the news not showing the McCain camp. But anytime they cut to them it looked pretty desolate and depressed, there was no excitement, it was the polar opposite of Obamas camp. It made sence they didnt spend too much time on that. I think if McCain was winning they would have got the camera time.
The dems had a long primary where the media already sold the Obama stories. By the time he was nominated the news story to sell was McCain vs Obama. I think there are more consertive talk show hosts then there are liberal. I dont think the media is as biased as some of you like to believe, but I do think they are in the business of selling news, which explains why they "report" (if you want to call it that) the way they do.
SNL looks for an easy target and Palin was it. I really do not think they are biased. Phil Hartmen did his Clinton impression for years. The Palin impression was dead on and the stuff out of the Couric interview was comedic gold. I dont see a bias there. They goofed on Biden but Tina Fey stole the show.
The "biased" media didnt really seem to focus on the Keating 5 scandle as much as I thought they would. It was mearly a blip in the radar screen.
Jimmy Carter reference VS Bush reference. What was the bull**** war that Carter started? I know Bush gave us the sham of the Iraq Freedom war but I cant remember the name of the one Carter started.
And I still stand by that the hypocracy of the posters here is laughable.