Furnace Install

Thread: Furnace Install

Furnace Install

How many hours do most of you quote on average for a furnace changeout, including EAC, Humidifier, and A-coil? Do you make the sheet metal fittings (plenum, transitions, etc.) in shop before the install or at the jobsite or modify the standard size fittings from the supply house?

You Will Need To Figure This Out.

Just because I charge 12 hours for furnace, 2 hours for EAC and 2 hours for humidifier you might need less or more. Knowing the cost of doing business is as important as doing a good job. Don't just work for wages, you won't last and stress will kill you.
    Do it right the first time.

Boss thinks there should be no problem doing all that, plus condensing unit in 8 hours, along with sheet metal fabrication on site.
    Some are done in 6 hours. Some take 12 hours or more.
    Each one is different.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

depends completely on the job.

there is no way to say without seeing the job and what would be involved to do it properly

If I'm doing the bare minimum on a furnace changeout (using existing filter rack, no humidifier, no t-stat), it takes me 3-6 hours. When you start adding in other stuff it varies widely.

I will only do complete systems for preferred clients. we are not really a residential company. At any rate, I would sell a complete variable speed, modulating gas furnace, with a high seer split or heatpump, touchscreen stat, media cleaner and humidifier if needed. I figure two men two days to wrap everything up neatly and correct. I have high expectations on what the final product should look like. We typically are in the mid teens price wise.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    depends completely on the job.

there is no way to say without seeing the job and what would be involved to do it properly
    LOL!!!!! spoken like a true Professional......lol

When I had my furnace installed which IMO was a pretty stright forward install nothing extra, just the furnace and If I remember I think they were here for maybe 5-6hrs completed.

Are you including the load calc? To do it right, that's a 2-hour job in the average home around our area. Just measuring the house and windows, inspecting the insulation, etc. The actual job depends on a lot of things. Like how is the unit vented? An 80% gas unit with B-vent chimney is pretty quick with no extras, like about 6-hours for 2 men. I've done an oil furnace alone in 10-hours from start to end. So it all depends on the conditions and the bells and whistles. Our company average is closer to 32-man hours for a 90+ than 16. We always work until the heat is back on in the cold weather but there's always a lot of clean-up. Sometimes we don't run the vent the first day, just the exhaust to get it going. Some of the PVC routing is pretty time consuming.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Not sure what answer to give you but I just installed 92% furnace, with humidifier, media air cleaner, evap. coil, line set, and A/C, with transitional to plenum with 2 guys in 8 hours. I was told recently you don't charge by the hour on installs you either charge for 4 hours or 8 hours. On any furnace or A/C replacement I always charge for 8 hours. On what I mentioned above I charge for 12 hours.

On mine furnace which was a replcement like I mentioned it was just that a replacement and running of another pvc for exhaust, and a short section of plenum. I did the majority of clean up, when the guys were outside I picked up the garbage. and all they had to do was pack their tools and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Are you including the load calc? To do it right, that's a 2-hour job in the average home around our area. Just measuring the house and windows, inspecting the insulation, etc. The actual job depends on a lot of things.
    Just had a change out done. I (the home owner) removed the old furnace and how long it takes me to do something isn't really relevant to what it should take professionals. Two quotes I got were both for a full day. The guy I went with spent a full 7 hours on site with some work done before he got there. The "quote" not including a load calc (assume the old furnace was sized right by virtue of it working properly) is a couple of hours. How do you justify the 2 hours (20-25% of the cost) if you don't get the job? The quotes I had were 2X different. Both companies figured one day to do the job. The company I went with was owner operator and obviously lower overhead. The job was a rental and the company that gave me the higher quote was one that just finished a big job at our primary residence. I have a few issues with both installations but the owner operator still talks to me after the check is cashed... Guess who gets my buisness going forward?