Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using a 95% sealed combustion Conventional Furnace in a Mobile Home (?)

Are conventional 95% gas furnaces , 2 pipe/sealed combustion, permitted for use in Mobile Homes ? If not, why arnt they specifically ? Thanks.

No it is not advisable to use 95% 2 pipe furnace in a mobile home. You must use a mobile home furnace that is required for mobile homes such as Coleman or Miller. Why? One is safety issues such as fire and death. I shut down a furnace 80% that is only supposed to be used in regular homes and not mobile homes. Sad thing was that contractor who installed it just installed it like 2 months before I shut it down. Wrong application.

It must be approved for mobile home application. I doubt it will be able to handle the high static duct that mobile homes have.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    It must be approved for mobile home application. I doubt it will be able to handle the high static duct that mobile homes have.
    Intertherm Mobile Home 15 kw electric furnace with A coil has a 1/3 h.p. motor rated at 4 tons airflow. A Goodman 70,000 95% gas furnace has a 1/2 h.p. rated at 4 tons airflow. Id think if the Intertherm can overcome the static pressure , the Goodman would ... especially without any return air ductwork going 2 pipe. Ill have to check the airflow/static chart for the Goodman. Sure would like to ditch the electric one and go with a propane 95% . Its my own Mobile Home.

As long as it is certified for MH use.

Coleman has a 92% for such a purpose meant for MH and modular homes. DGAD, DAGE, DAGF model ID depending upon size.

I took a gander through the various spec sheets for Goodman downflow 90s, I didn't say anywhere that it said OK to use in MH.
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 11-05-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    As long as it is certified for MH use.

Coleman has a 92% for such a purpose meant for MH and modular homes. DGAD, DAGE, DAGF model ID depending upon size.

I took a gander through the various spec sheets for Goodman downflow 90s, I didn't say anywhere that it said OK to use in MH.
    Yes, I took a peek too on a Goodman 90 plus spec sheet and it didnt say one way or the other. Ill take a look at the Coleman and most likely go that route since its designated for MH's. thanks.

I think Payne/Bryant has a counterflow 90% that is MH approved.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I think Payne/Bryant has a counterflow 90% that is MH approved.
    Youre the Man ! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
    Intertherm Mobile Home 15 kw electric furnace with A coil has a 1/3 h.p. motor rated at 4 tons airflow. A Goodman 70,000 95% gas furnace has a 1/2 h.p. rated at 4 tons airflow. Id think if the Intertherm can overcome the static pressure , the Goodman would ... especially without any return air ductwork going 2 pipe. Ill have to check the airflow/static chart for the Goodman. Sure would like to ditch the electric one and go with a propane 95% . Its my own Mobile Home.
    I went thru this last week with Goodman on an electric furnace that some one had installed in a mobile home. I know that my circumstances are different then yours.
    Goodman claimed that the electric was not approved for mobile homes but were approved for modular homes with conventional low static duct.
    So its going to depend on wether the unit is approved for mobile home installation.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Loonie and Heybob are correct. THe unit has to be rated for mobile home use. The Carrier unit needs to be modified to handle the high static duct system. Modular and manufactured housing are different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by 7X View Post
    Loonie and Heybob are correct. THe unit has to be rated for mobile home use. The Carrier unit needs to be modified to handle the high static duct system. Modular and manufactured housing are different animals.
    I just took a look at Coleman Evcons Manufactured Housing 90% Downflow gas furnaces, and their short-version spec sheet lists the cfm at "0.3 ESP" ; since Manufactured Homes have a higher static duct systems (with typical duct sizes consisting of Two: 14" w.x4" h. trunk ducts plus a crossover duct) , why do they rate their furnaces at 0.3" ESP instead of a higher rating like OVER 0.5" ? Lastly, what IS a realistic ESP on a typical Mfd. Home of say...1400 sq. ft -- has anyone actually measured it for a Mfd/Mobile Home ? Thanks.

check out the Intertherm 90% MH Furnace

http://www.nordyne.com/literature/307b.pdf

As far as I know,the only thing that you need to do to install a 90+ gas furnace in a mobile home is to securely affix it to the wall in the furnace encloser.
    I've installed a couple of Trane and their mobile home kit consisted of several brackets to secure the furnace to the wall.
    If you look at a Nordyne mobile home furnace the blower is completely standard so the SP is not that big a deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast