Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Something like that. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Something like that. I think.
    ok, uploaded to the same link - first pic

http://picasaweb.google.com/guha.ronnie/Tmp#

you can see the whitish curtain the HVAC is inside it. you can see one vent.. i have it shut off since the mezzanine gets to be VERRRY hot.. the grille is in that cubby hole behind the curtain facing the camera and in between the two whitish looking sheets..

hope this helps.. return grille size for this is about 24X24.. as far as i remember.

thanks !

Do you have "walls" of glass here? If so, heavy curtains would be your friends here. Relatively inexpensive, compared to other alternatives.

Do you have "walls" of glass here? If so, heavy curtains would be your friends here. Relatively inexpensive, compared to other alternatives.
    yes, the *wall* facing the living room is all glass and open.. i was thinking of heavy curtains to make it sound proof for my musical instruments anyway.. might as well do it to reduce the noise.. how heavy do you think? something that wouldnt look hideous since it is VERY visible from the living room thanks much!

also, i am SERIOUSLY considering lowering the blower speed during winter months (this unit should have 4 blower speeds) it is right now at 2000 CFM - which IMHO is too high for my apt..

You might need to sacrifice looks over function in this case. How heavy ? Heavy enough to insulate, shear drapes really wouldn't do anything , besides look good. What about reflective film? You want to stop that sun light, before it enters the living area. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. Let's see what the other guys have to offer up. Good Luck.

We have run into this problem before and were able to reduce the noise by adding a "baffle plate" behind the grill to deflect some of the mechanical noise. Lowering the blower speed needs to be done while maintaining the proper temp rise or limit bouncing will result. In addition, using the entire mechanical room as a return air plenum is a bad idea not to mention a code violation in most areas. Using a mechanical contractor is the proper way to address this issue as modifications to the furnace and associated ducting system is not a DIY project.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    We have run into this problem before and were able to reduce the noise by adding a "baffle plate" behind the grill to deflect some of the mechanical noise. Lowering the blower speed needs to be done while maintaining the proper temp rise or limit bouncing will result. In addition, using the entire mechanical room as a return air plenum is a bad idea not to mention a code violation in most areas. Using a mechanical contractor is the proper way to address this issue as modifications to the furnace and associated ducting system is not a DIY project.
    I couldn't agree with you more - I need a mechanical/HVAC engineer to address this. The furnace is brand new (only 10 months old) and so is the building.. this shouldn't be the case :-(

I have called a few engineers and contractors and am waiting to hear back and get more details/quotes. am DEFINITELY not going to go with the cheapest - only the one who speaks most intelligently (like you guys).

thanks much!

we left one question out ... is it acceptable for the furnace to be re-heating already warm air? (the return is on the mezannine hence already has warm air there).

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by rkgtech View Post
    we left one question out ... is it acceptable for the furnace to be re-heating already warm air? (the return is on the mezannine hence already has warm air there).

Thanks all
    That's how they work, so, I'm gonna say, it's acceptable.

That's how they work, so, I'm gonna say, it's acceptable.
    I was thinking of somehow getting the return grille to the main living area - that way the cold air from the ground level would be sucked in as opposed to sucking in already heated air from 8 ft above the ground. IMHO that would be a better way to run it but...

I was thinking of somehow getting the return grille to the main living area - that way the cold air from the ground level would be sucked in as opposed to sucking in already heated air from 8 ft above the ground. IMHO that would be a better way to run it but...
    This install is only ten months old, correct? Where is the installing contractor, when you're having all these problems? He should shoulder some responsibility here. As far as the noise, it sounds like the air handler is just the other side of the wall, with the return air ducting a straight shot through the wall, hence, the noise problem. This system could have been designed a little bit better, in my opinion. Your return air theory would probably be a better design than the original, if it can be implemented.

This install is only ten months old, correct? Where is the installing contractor, when you're having all these problems? He should shoulder some responsibility here. As far as the noise, it sounds like the air handler is just the other side of the wall, with the return air ducting a straight shot through the wall, hence, the noise problem. This system could have been designed a little bit better, in my opinion. Your return air theory would probably be a better design than the original, if it can be implemented.
    Absolutely! air AND sound have a straight passthru the wall of the return grille. That's why I had thought of putting a baffle just behind the return grille to absorb some of the noise. Well, i bought this apt from a developer who says that he has no contact with the contractor (actually the contractors had walked from the job because of payment problems).. hence all these issues.. sigh..

Absolutely! air AND sound have a straight passthru the wall of the return grille. That's why I had thought of putting a baffle just behind the return grille to absorb some of the noise. Well, i bought this apt from a developer who says that he has no contact with the contractor (actually the contractors had walked from the job because of payment problems).. hence all these issues.. sigh..
    Some guys have all the luck There's ways to quiet it down some, but, it really never is enough. If you throw enough money at this, you can make it acceptable to live with. The question is, where to draw the line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast