Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102

    return grille positioning..

    Hi all

    Since you guys are the gurus of HVACs - here's a quick question if you can help.

    My furnace (split system) is on the mezzanine above the kitchen (in a HVAC room along with the water heater). The return grille faces the mezz area (don't even start talking about the noise !!). The air on the mezzanine is ALWAYS warm (of course). Is it acceptable for the furnace to keep reheating warm air? What are the repercussions of this?

    Thanks!

    PS - if you have a solution to the huge noise problem, that would be great too or better yet a SUPERB HVAC specialist in brooklyn, ny

    Thanks much all !

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lancaster PA
    Posts
    67,753
    A pic would help.
    Contractor locator map

    How-to-apply-for-Professional

    How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,847
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    A pic would help.
    I was going to say the same. Need pics to give an informed reply.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102

    pics and description

    sure.. thanks much.. adding 3 pics here.

    I took one pic from inside the HVAC room (the room is also used as a plenum) - you can see the filter from inside and to the right is the water heater.

    Outside the grille, since everything was a hard surface, I added 2 soft curtains to absorb the sound - so, the return grille has blinders :-)

    The mezzanine is about 8 ft above the main floor and looks down onto the living room - the grille is on the same level as the mezzanine.

    the ceilings are about 14 ft high and it is a 930 sq ft apt. I have a GY9S120D20DH11J YORK furnace.. wonder if it is too much for the size of my apt.. maybe that's why the noise..

    Does this help? Thanks much!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,842
    Can't see the pics. As far as the furnace size, it appears to be over sized for the area but without all of the specifics, it's impossible to give an accurate assessment. That is a 120,000 btu unit with a 2000cfm blower (max rating). Using a single return grill certainly could result in a fair amount of air noise.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    Can't see the pics. As far as the furnace size, it appears to be over sized for the area but without all of the specifics, it's impossible to give an accurate assessment. That is a 120,000 btu unit with a 2000cfm blower (max rating). Using a single return grill certainly could result in a fair amount of air noise.
    thanks for the response.
    weird.. i can view them when i click on them.. are they not showing up when you click on the img links?

    i was thinking a 3.5 ton unit would be enough but i am not an expert... hence i do need an expert to come in.. the ceilings are high and the apt has exposure on all sides but 2.. so there are a lot of factors to consider :-(

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,847
    Same here, no pics. I think the site has a few bugs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    4,842
    The box for image attachments is there but no links in the box
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

    DEM


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,847
    Quote Originally Posted by rkgtech View Post
    thanks for the response.
    weird.. i can view them when i click on them.. are they not showing up when you click on the img links?

    i was thinking a 3.5 ton unit would be enough but i am not an expert... hence i do need an expert to come in.. the ceilings are high and the apt has exposure on all sides but 2.. so there are a lot of factors to consider :-(
    Don't guess at it. At the top of one of these pages is a link to do your own load calulation. Try it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    The box for image attachments is there but no links in the box
    ok, here's a link to where i put all the pics

    http://picasaweb.google.com/guha.ronnie/Tmp#

    please let me know if this doesn't work.

    thanks

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Don't guess at it. At the top of one of these pages is a link to do your own load calulation. Try it.
    not a bad idea.. i might try my hand at it.. just to get an idea.. i *think* the unit is too big for me.. just to make sure i will try this one..

    thanks !

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,847
    Quote Originally Posted by rkgtech View Post
    ok, here's a link to where i put all the pics

    http://picasaweb.google.com/guha.ronnie/Tmp#

    please let me know if this doesn't work.

    thanks
    The link works but, I still don't get it. I guess I need a more over all pic, a wider angle, I'd have to say.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    The link works but, I still don't get it. I guess I need a more over all pic, a wider angle, I'd have to say.
    do u mean, looking from the mezzanine onto the HVAC room itself showing the grille position (or rather the blinders position)?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event