Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible to install a DC fan in a single Stage furnace?

Hello and thanks for reading,

I have a Bryant +90 furnace 2004 model which has no DC fan.
    Its probably a predecessor of this one
    http://www.bryant.com/products/furna...lution96.shtml

Is it possible to add a DC fan to my supply (or return) to get a sufficient CFM rate to circulate my 4000sq home without having to run the AC blower?

Basically I'd like to find a quite and efficient way to circulate air in my home.

I've been told my local HVAC salesmen that it isn't possible, so I just wanted to see if the pros here had any opinions on this matter.
    -D in MN

You Can Do Just About Anything

but is it worth it, probably not. You would need to change out the board and motor and maybe even more. Not going to be cheap. Call your local contractor and get their take.
    Do it right the first time.

http://www.evergreenmotor.com/

there is supposed to be a 120v model soon....
    Last edited by freefall; 11-03-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Work sucks, lets go skydive

I went to there website and found that bullet #3 says the furnace version is coming soon.
    http://www.evergreenmotor.com/faq.php

I see you edited your post to add that lol

Thanks for the link, this is the sort of thing I am interested in. Not sure how much the install would cost. The payback might be several years however then I would probably start running the fan all the time instead of just when heat/cool is called for.

I've spoken to several HVAC contractors and they all say the whole furnace would need to be replaced. Is there a market for used furnaces??? j/k
    -D in MN

Hey D-

I think that motor is a good ideal for people who may be kicking them self in the rear for not upgrading the furnace at the time of the install.

Being that you have a Bryant, you can change the fan speed at the t-stat.

I took a heater out and it had a HOFFMAN control on it(I am not sure about the name)
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Too bad the rest don't do it like Nordyne and make a VS kit for their furnaces. Slide out the housing, slide in the new ones. Hook up wires to your thermostat terminal strip and set blower speeds.

Evergreen motors are good ecm type for air handlers (i 've installed a few). They are having a time getting past the safety features of a furnace. From my understanding they have been working on the 120v style for awhile. So, don't hold your breath.

Thanks, I just exhaled
    -D in MN

I think its Johnstone Supply that now carries a 120 volt conversion DC motor . Web site doesn't show it yet, but they are selling them. I remembered this thread so I thought Id let you know..
    Work sucks, lets go skydive

Check this out......have mine coming soon. http://www.emersonclimate.com/RescueEcotech/

Thanks Fellas. It looks like I have a few options now which is awesome. Time to do a little more research and find out what the payback time frame is assuming I were to run my noisy single stage blower 24/7.
    -D in MN

Quote Originally Posted by dgbehrends View Post
    Thanks Fellas. It looks like I have a few options now which is awesome. Time to do a little more research and find out what the payback time frame is assuming I were to run my noisy single stage blower 24/7.
    To determine if there is a pay back at all.
    You would need to check the static pressure your system has now. At what ever CFM it is moving in both its heating and cooling mode.

While in fan on mode during non heat or cooling calls, it will use less electric.
    Your duct could be under sized enough, that it uses more electric during heating and cooling calls.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast