Common Interview Questions Asked?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Common Interview Questions Asked?

Hello, I have a 2nd interview with a company coming up soon and as always I get nervous at answering questions. Ive learned everything I know so far in the HVAC/R field all hands on... Im more of a hands on and jump ahead of the questions asked..

Also, the position im being interviewed for is a Refrigeration Maintenance Mechanic. I do have 5 years experience in the HVAC field, most of it is house hold cooling & heating installations/service. Im wondering if anyone would know typical questions that might be asked and how I should respond to them. I have a good idea as to questions that may be asked but any help is appreciated. Also as a side note, the interview is somewhat hands on from what I gathered which will include a walk through throughout the facility.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Home is Azle Texas, work in Dallas-Fort Worth & surrounding areas.
    Just be honest & don't try to B.S. them.
    If you don't know what something is or how it works,let them know that you are willing to learn.
    Let them know why you want to work for them.
    Good luck.
    Life as an adult is much like life in kindergarten - If I make it through the day without crying or hitting some one, then it was a good day!

As stated above...

Be honest. Tell them your always learning and will never stop learning. Your not afraid of something new since if will be another learning experience.

If they keep on about the stuff you don't know. Remind them you have us as well as every tech support phone number known to man. You can't be expected to be able to fix everything at first go. Especially when the equipment is outdated, wore out, old, no schematics, unknown parts, etc.etc.. But the fact that you have a phone that with the press or 10 or 11 magic numbers, you can figure anything out and nothing is impossible.

And last but not least. Its an interview. Be yourself. Kinda falls under if the joke aint funny, don't laugh deal. Don't make yourself out to be something your not....then you should have nothing to worry about.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Thanks for the replies. During the first interview I was just myself and basically told him that my strengths are mainly in installation and service of residential units, but I am also mechanical minded and always looking to learn something new. He seemed to like that comment, and replied by saying that he is not looking for someone who knows it all, but someone that can do the job.

I never thought to mention my utilizing this site as a reference, thank you for that idea.

bring a small mag light along,and don't be afraid to ask them questions about their equipment,and over all facilities operations.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by servtech2 View Post
    Hello, I have a 2nd interview with a company coming up soon and as always I get nervous at answering questions. Ive learned everything I know so far in the HVAC/R field all hands on... Im more of a hands on and jump ahead of the questions asked..

Also, the position im being interviewed for is a Refrigeration Maintenance Mechanic. I do have 5 years experience in the HVAC field, most of it is house hold cooling & heating installations/service. Im wondering if anyone would know typical questions that might be asked and how I should respond to them. I have a good idea as to questions that may be asked but any help is appreciated. Also as a side note, the interview is somewhat hands on from what I gathered which will include a walk through throughout the facility.

You might want to be able to answer what "superheat" is...I used to ask "journeyman" mechanics that question during interviews....You would be suprised how many could not answer.....maybe nerves?
    Not everything that counts can be counted. And not everything that can be counted counts.-Albert Einstein..

Agree, don't oversell yourself. I have interviewed lots of "chiller techs" in my days.

Me: What types of chillers have you worked on?
    Them: All kinds.

Me: What model chillers?
    Them: I don't remember.

Me: Ok what did you do to them?

Me: Ok was it one, two or three stages? Centrifugal, recip or screw?

Me: OK, what color was it?
    Them: Gray, I think it was a Trane.

Me: OK, what did it look like.
    Them: It was grey.

By this point I know I know I'm not hiring them. After the first question I know I'm not hiring them. I remember just about every chiller I've ever worked on and what was done to it. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerfreak View Post
    You might want to be able to answer what "superheat" is...I used to ask "journeyman" mechanics that question during interviews....You would be suprised how many could not answer.....maybe nerves?
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

I got asked to draw out the refridgeration cycle. And what stages the refridge is in when it passes through the stages,

Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    I got asked to draw out the refridgeration cycle. And what stages the refridge is in when it passes through the stages,
    Ive heard this happen a few times. Probably a good thing to know how to draw it out.

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

Best of luck ! Just be yourself
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by chillerfreak View Post
    I often ask the super heat question. Some guys sweat when answering. A guy making over $30.00 should be able to get it right. A Lot dont.

My new question is If the air filters are plugged do the blower amps go up or down.

I like guys that tell it to me straight on the interview. I put a number on them at that time. Ticks me off when they over sell themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by servtech2 View Post

Hi,

I do not agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Please try to keep posting. Tks and best regards

Quote Originally Posted by jerryvn01 View Post
    Hi,

I do not agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Please try to keep posting. Tks and best regards
    Apart from that, this link below may be useful: Maintenance interview questions

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast