Geothermal downflow

Hey guys , i have a customer who wants to put a geothermal downflow in. Bury the duct and pour concrete over it. Is anyone still doing that ? Ive never worked on a downflow that wasnt a pos in a pos house and neighborhood. The archetect is a real winner as well.Whats everyone else doing with these? The water table is shallow here and the climate and humidity are bad as well. Just out of curiosity could he use a unico and instead of their duct use pvc? I am going to call and ask on Monday. I know i dont have to ask for your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Hey guys , i have a customer who wants to put a geothermal downflow in. Bury the duct and pour concrete over it.

We do some underground in commercial situations. You can buy PVC duct, and polyethylene duct that will workgreat in wet situations. Ine thing I would be sure to do is slope all the duct to one point, and drain it into a sump pit, don't for get a trap between the duct run and sump pit.

I just put a downflow geothermal in an earth sheltered home. The utility room is a little building on top of the house. Pretty cool setup. Did an Trane ERV and a climadry coil with it to dehumidify in the winter.

Thanks Guys , I looked into the pvc duct , still dont know what the final verdict is. Arch wants to put the outdoor loop UNDER the drive way? Maybe he should stick to making things pretty and leave the function to us?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I think it's interesting that this question was posted in the Wall of Shame.

Maybe a prediction of shame to come?

Freudian slip?

Anyway, I can't wait to see the pics.

Geothermal under concrete

There was a company that did a geo unit at a school here in town. They put all the loops under the parking lot. The outcome was not good. They ended up ripping the lot up as well as the loops. Then putting them under the football field and redoing the parking lot. Glad it wasn't my job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reepersteve View Post
    There was a company that did a geo unit at a school here in town. They put all the loops under the parking lot. The outcome was not good. They ended up ripping the lot up as well as the loops. Then putting them under the football field and redoing the parking lot. Glad it wasn't my job!!!
    What the heck did they do to screw that up?!
    We have several large buildings with the wells buried under the parking lot and not one problem yet. (Unless you include the current project where the electricians keep drilling holes for light pole footings where the wells are! The wells are marked with flags!!)

I new some one would ask this question! I personally havn't delt with geo-t. It was not my project and not my company, nor my problem. but the fact is it did not work til' the change came on. Just something that goes around the shop when geo-t comes around.

I think that the coil was not deep enough. Personally!

Sorry i posted this under wall of shame guys , wat was i thinking? ,,,,Dont answer that.
    Thanks for the help though
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.