Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    just made a service appt.

they cant make it to my house until next tuesday though.

I told them that the burner was running rough, damper banging back and forth, etc..

Is this normal?

I was hopeful that they could get to my home by at least thursday considering the circumstance, but it could be that I am being overly optimistic.

They could be busy, with other preset appointments.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Am I missing something? Don't most pieces of equipment have an operating range in terms of firing rate on oil? I know when I do boilers, they can be adjusted to fire at lessor rates with a nozzle change and adjustment in most cases, with some also requiring the baffle. It seems to me that he needs to verfiy whether this is true or not for the furnace in question prior to putting the .75 back. It could be that his service company just doesnt know how to adjust it properly, or they dont own an anylzer like soo many other residential guys out there.

Most boilers do.
    Lot of hot air oil fired furnace don't.

The company may be using a Fyrite kit. Nothing wrong with that.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Am I missing something? Don't most pieces of equipment have an operating range in terms of firing rate on oil? I know when I do boilers, they can be adjusted to fire at lessor rates with a nozzle change and adjustment in most cases, with some also requiring the baffle. It seems to me that he needs to verfiy whether this is true or not for the furnace in question prior to putting the .75 back. It could be that his service company just doesnt know how to adjust it properly, or they dont own an anylzer like soo many other residential guys out there.
    Inside the furnace, there is a chart which lists .75gph as standard and also lists .65 and .5 as alternative nozzle sizes.

That is the furnace though, i don't know if the burner is able to run on the .65.

it is frustrating as a homeowner though, I can tell you that.

Well, the tech came out to the house yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I could not be there, my wife was there. I left a note describing the issue.

My wife told me the tech was there for 10 minutes, told her that he "adjusted the air setting".

I got home and looked at furnace run. The barometric damper was put back to about 0.05 and it does seem to be running a lot better.

The draft inside the flue is still a little irregular, but the damper does not bang around, it just sort of opens and closes, as if the draft inside the flue is just over the setting so that the tiniest opening of the damper then causes it to close.

So, I guess it is ok now? Is an air adjustment all that would have been necessary to correct the situation that I originally posted? Do I have any reason to be concerned? Or should I trust that the tech knew what he was doing?

You'll find out for sure in a month or so.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You'll find out for sure in a month or so.
    What do you make of this:

Damper is still banging around on initial start up and progressively gets better over a period of minutes. Once the burner has been running 4 to 5 minutes, the damper has quieted down and begins to hold itself open. The longer the burner runs, the better it seems to run.

right now, weather is mild, so burner really doesn't run much and even when it does, it doesn't have to run more than 4 or 5 minutes, so by the time it settles down, it shuts off.

In another week or so, the cold weather should be here in NY in earnest for the winter, so hopefully when the burner runs more it runs better.

Is this somewhat normal to have a burner that causes the damper to do this for the first few minutes during times when it doesn't run much?

Not really.

Did it do it last year, when your burner was at its full firing rate.
    Contractor locator map

Not really.

Did it do it last year, when your burner was at its full firing rate.
    It did it a bit at the end of the year. But it mainly ran great.

Should I not trust this company anymore? If I call anyone else to look at the burner, it will cost $$.

For what it is worth, when this company originally put the new nozzle in, they did do some testing and the tech told me the flue temp he measured was 550 degrees, but he said that a certain number had to be subtracted from that to get the actual flue temp and it had to do with outside temp. At the time, the outside temp was probably high 60's. this was back in late august.

Does that flue temp sound ok?

The air temp of the combustion air is what is subtracted.
    So if it uses basement air, you subtract the temp of the basement air.
    If its outside air, then the outside temp.

I'd call them back and talk to the service manager, or owner of the company. And let him know its still not right.

10 minutes, isn't enough time to find out what is wrong, and set up a burner right.

Although 550 gross stack is ok.
    I'd go back to the factory firing rate. You didn't have trouble back then.
    Contractor locator map

The air temp of the combustion air is what is subtracted.
    So if it uses basement air, you subtract the temp of the basement air.
    If its outside air, then the outside temp.

I'd call them back and talk to the service manager, or owner of the company. And let him know its still not right.

10 minutes, isn't enough time to find out what is wrong, and set up a burner right.

Although 550 gross stack is ok.
    I'd go back to the factory firing rate. You didn't have trouble back then.

I understand. It is pretty frustrating though. In fact, if i just didn't pay any attention in the first place, i wouldn't even know anything is wrong.

This company has been in buisiness for 25 years, you would think......well, whatever, I won't complain again

The company has two techs that work on oil, the rest are gas. So far both techs have seen the burner and neither have set it up correctly.

Isn't there a strong possiblity that even if the original nozzle is put back in, that the techs don't have the capability to set it up correctly?

Have these guys always done your work? If not why not go back to the company that did right by you. I work for an oil company and occasionally we get new customers over price but often we get them over service.

Leo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast