Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And his belief is, I'll be a hero , I'll fix the unit and the boss will pat me on the back. In all actuallity he'll one day fall and break his back. This work is risky enough, why create em.

Quote Originally Posted by william antley View Post
    Our company policy is 3 rungs above the roofline, tied down tightly
    That is an OSHA requirement as well.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

Had a ladder blow down one time , fortunetly there was some twiggy little doctor to tie my rope back on for me, he couldnt even put my ladder back up. That was 20 years ago and i never go up without a rope to tie off with , Or if my ladder doesnt reach properly.
    My brothers an Iron worker , they say 10 feet or a 100 your either dead or wish you were. Be safe guys.

More than once I've seen untied ladders blown down by wind or backed into by careless drivers.That pic is a death wish or a lawsuit.
    Old, Bald and Cranky

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Had a ladder blow down one time , fortunetly there was some twiggy little doctor to tie my rope back on for me, he couldnt even put my ladder back up. That was 20 years ago and i never go up without a rope to tie off with , Or if my ladder doesnt reach properly.
    My brothers an Iron worker , they say 10 feet or a 100 your either dead or wish you were. Be safe guys.
    I've had a few blow down on me too but, they blew down before I got up top to tie them off. Once I get up to the edge, I tie that ladder down tightly. I have had one blow down while I was up top once, tying my rope to a tie down point before tying it to the ladder which wasn't too bright, but I did have another way down to set it up again and do it right this time.
    Most all the places I service where I have to set up the extension ladder I make sure to lash it down tight one way or another before I step off onto the roof.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

hey duck ru az native guy?? how long ?

Out on a PM and decided to come down to the truck to take a short break. I was looking around and saw that someone wanted up on the roof in the worst way.

I could see the guy from my rooftop and it seems he was a roofer doing something around the unit curbs up there. I'm sure there are roof hatches in each space because I service several of the tenants in this area and they all have their own access.
    Still, he's got more chutzpah then I have.
    is that at Sandhills Mall off of Clemson Rd

No, that's a set of strip malls near the intersection of Sparkleberry and Two Notch, about a mile south of Sandhills.
    I did a lot of work at Sandhills when it was being started and expanded too. Mostly cleanup of the installers screwups.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I guess being the non-conformist independent hack I am.....I would have done the same and deposited the money too....

Lots of jobs out there.... some you want and some others want to take....

I guess bottom line.... did he collect..??
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

No, that's a set of strip malls near the intersection of Sparkleberry and Two Notch, about a mile south of Sandhills.
    I did a lot of work at Sandhills when it was being started and expanded too. Mostly cleanup of the installers screwups.
    did that too at the ole navy store there at sandhills company called i better just put abbrv. WW

Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    did that too at the ole navy store there at sandhills company called i better just put abbrv. WW
    I used to work for them, I know all about their issues. Those are better served by PMs than a public forum.

Cool OSHA

3 feet above the point of contact on the roof edge; base must be 1 foot out of this point plumb for every 4 ft. vertical. If you have a roof contact point 20 ft. off ground, the base of the ladder must be 5 ft. out from the wall plus the amt. of the soffit. . The base of the ladder must be secured, esp. on hard ground such as paving or concrete. One method is to tie off the base back towards the building so it cannot kick out. The feet of the ladder must be suitable for the surface or else some suitable mudsill used. The ladder duty rating must handle with worker plus his load. I can carry 20 pounds legally up my ladders.

I carry a 32' Type IA aluminum ladder for up to 2 story houses. I have a Type IA 40 footer, which I hate to use. For roofs over 8/12 pitch, OSHA requires a ridgehook ladder or slide guards and roof jacks or fall protection system. On slippery roofs such as slate or metal may need fall protection at very low slopes.

I always use LevelLok open rung standoff/ stabilizers.
    I ran a lot of calls out Two Notch Rd. when I was a paramedic with Richland Co. EMS-back in a former life.

Where do you tie off your ladder on flat roofs where the membrane goes up and over the soffet? I dont see this on older buildings but the newest are totally smooth with no metal flashing all membrane.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast