Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

And I thought I was crazy!

Out on a PM and decided to come down to the truck to take a short break. I was looking around and saw that someone wanted up on the roof in the worst way.

I could see the guy from my rooftop and it seems he was a roofer doing something around the unit curbs up there. I'm sure there are roof hatches in each space because I service several of the tenants in this area and they all have their own access.
    Still, he's got more chutzpah then I have.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I have done that once against company policy, I dont think ill be doing it again.
    company policy is 2-3 rungs above the roof line. we have 28ft ladders on our trucks but have 40ft aluminum ones at the shop for taller roofs.

Fired.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Wow. I've seen a guy extend a ladder that far apart and came apart in the middle...ouch.

I saw some landscapers trimming a tree against a building. They duct taped a 6 ft step ladder to a 24 ft extension ladder. Damndest thing I ever saw.

Quote Originally Posted by y7turbo View Post
    I have done that once against company policy, I dont think ill be doing it again.
    company policy is 2-3 rungs above the roof line. we have 28ft ladders on our trucks but have 40ft aluminum ones at the shop for taller roofs.
    You only carry 28ft ladders? Lucky. I carry a 32ft one on my truck. Ive gotten stronger just from slinging that thing around. Ive only used the shops 40ft ladder once, that thing is a real beast.

Quote Originally Posted by skoonen View Post
    You only carry 28ft ladders? Lucky. I carry a 32ft one on my truck. Ive gotten stronger just from slinging that thing around. Ive only used the shops 40ft ladder once, that thing is a real beast.
    28 foot get us to the top of most roofs, the others most of the time have roof hatches. If they dont then the 40 footer comes out. I actually have it on my truck now, i had to use it friday.

those roofers are nuts, probably figured he couldnt fall off a flat roof.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Our company policy is 3 rungs above the roofline, tied down tightly and cones all around the ladder.
    If any of my bosses or co-workers had seen me doing something like that, I'd be walking home and looking for another job.
    I've got a 28 foot extension ladder and the company is promoting everyone to a 32 footer but, your current 28 has to be ready for replacement before you get the 32. I'll be on that 28 for the next decade or two. But, fortunately, I know how to find the roof hatches.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rev View Post
    those roofers are nuts, probably figured he couldnt fall off a flat roof.
    It ain't the roof. It's the unsafe ladder.

He put himself (physically) and the company (monetarily) at risk by not using the right ladder for the job.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Fired.

Immediately

We don't carry ladders at all. No roof access, no service.

No problems, just solutions

Thats a guy who gets things done.

I would have told my boss theres no roof access so me how to get on the roof.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast