Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm PCO vs Active tech

Which is better and why?

Need a link for Active tech ? Inline or standalone?

Do you mean ActivTek?

Quote Originally Posted by scarr View Post
    Which is better and why?
    Are you asking about ActivTek?

Inquiring about the "ductworx"style in duct air scrubber. I understand it that it has some benefits that the standardpco does not provide. Is this true?

yes and no scarr. They purposely create ozone to react with a PCO to create hydrogen peroxide as a by product for surface oxidation. It s sold as a indoor air product but all of the testing with this technology and others that are similar is surface contact in a time period. This technology isn't very efficient and the PCO can deactivate putting straight ozone in to the air stream for periods of time raising your levels above the acceptable limits.
    I can see demand for this product when you have area where they are unoccupied for periods of time like food processing packing plants and such. All so you wont find an Mechanical Engineer that would spec this into a project, to many ifs and not enough tangible documentation of reduction rates in an air stream.

I see, I like the concept but I do not like the idea that the ozone levels could potentially be too high. Thanks for the input.

scarr - I don't think there really is a comparison - PCO is part of the greater Activtek process - read below. The market is huge for such technology in my opinion.

activTek Environmental provides unique, state of the art environmental products to solve many of the biological, chemical and particulate problems faced in the indoor environment. Our unique method of air purification is a Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) process that combines ultraviolet light of three different wavelengths, oxygen and the natural humidity found in air enhanced with a titanium compound catalyst, to create a host of “Friendly Oxidizers”. These are oxidizers that are based on oxygen and hydrogen and revert back to harmless carbon dioxide and water after they oxidize. No chemicals are involved and therefore no chemical residue remains.

The main oxidizers created are:
    - Hydroxyl Radicals (OH)
    - Vapor Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)
    - Low Level Ozone (O3)

This state of the art technology may be as significant an advance in infection control as the development of antibiotics. Radiant Catalytic Ionization™ (RCI) Infection and Mold Control Technology makes new infection control strategies possible, cost-effective, and efficient for government, businesses, medical facilities, educational institutions, mass transportation, and the hospitality industry.
    So far RCI has demonstrated the ability to safely disinfect each virus, bacteria, mold, and fungus against which it has been applied. Also, independent studies conducted by Kansas State University and the University of Cincinnati have proven this advanced oxidation process to be effective against the H5N8 Avian virus, Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), Streptococcus, E-Coli, Listeria, Candida, Pseudomonas, Bacillus Subtilis, and Stachybotrys Chartarum (Black Mold). These University tests have shown that RCI technology can disinfect at least 96.4% and as much as 99.99% of surface-contaminating and airborne viruses and bacteria within the first 24 hours after installation.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureFreshAir View Post
    scarr - I don't think there really is a comparison - PCO is part of the greater Activtek process - read below. The market is huge for such technology in my opinion.

activTek Environmental provides unique, state of the art environmental products to solve many of the biological, chemical and particulate problems faced in the indoor environment. Our unique method of air purification is a Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) process that combines ultraviolet light of three different wavelengths, oxygen and the natural humidity found in air enhanced with a titanium compound catalyst, to create a host of “Friendly Oxidizers”. These are oxidizers that are based on oxygen and hydrogen and revert back to harmless carbon dioxide and water after they oxidize. No chemicals are involved and therefore no chemical residue remains.

The main oxidizers created are:
    - Hydroxyl Radicals (OH)
    - Vapor Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)
    - Low Level Ozone (O3)

This state of the art technology may be as significant an advance in infection control as the development of antibiotics. Radiant Catalytic Ionization™ (RCI) Infection and Mold Control Technology makes new infection control strategies possible, cost-effective, and efficient for government, businesses, medical facilities, educational institutions, mass transportation, and the hospitality industry.
    So far RCI has demonstrated the ability to safely disinfect each virus, bacteria, mold, and fungus against which it has been applied. Also, independent studies conducted by Kansas State University and the University of Cincinnati have proven this advanced oxidation process to be effective against the H5N8 Avian virus, Methycillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), Streptococcus, E-Coli, Listeria, Candida, Pseudomonas, Bacillus Subtilis, and Stachybotrys Chartarum (Black Mold). These University tests have shown that RCI technology can disinfect at least 96.4% and as much as 99.99% of surface-contaminating and airborne viruses and bacteria within the first 24 hours after installation.
    Sounds like marketing speak pasted and copied straight out of Eco Quests Sales and Marketing packet that you get with your Success Packet. Active Tek is the commercial arm of Eco Quest by the way.

Here we go again. More Ecoquest drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Sounds like marketing speak pasted and copied straight out of Eco Quests Sales and Marketing packet that you get with your Success Packet. Active Tek is the commercial arm of Eco Quest by the way.
    Incorrect its from the write up explaining why activeTek technologies are different from PCO. It answered the original question posed in the forum about the difference between PCO and activtek. What is your argument about it? It is an active technology versus most of the competition which sells passive technology. Sure their technology is good at cleaning the area it is installed in but that is about all.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Here we go again. More Ecoquest drivel.
    I have seen extremely positive results with both the residential and commercial units and I am a dealer for both. Been using the technology for 2+ years. Awesome technology. Working on a very large commercial bid as we speak.

So I assume you've tried the technology and seen the published scientific reports?

nfa
    Yes, I am familiar with the "technology."

Somehow I am not surprised that you are a dealer for the product.

The "scientific reports" have nothing to do with this product being used in indoor air. The "tests" they reference have been conducted in very small chambers (some about the size of your kitchen oven) and use extended periods of time with high exposure. These tests do not apply to the use of the product in a home or commercial building. Saying so is deceptive.

Let me give you an analogy. Household bleach will also kill all of the things referenced in your quote from the Ecoquest literature. Does that mean that if I put a bowl of bleach in my house that I will kill all mold, viruses and bacteria? Hardly.

These issues have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. I would suggest you read them before making further claims about this "technology."

breathe easy,

Not so - real world examples are the proof. There are fertilization clinics(which you would think would be clean already), major cruise lines, daycares, public transportation depots, factories with high levels of chemical odors above epa limits, all who have used the technology in their own indoor environments combating VOC's, bacterias and viruses. They did their own testing above and beyond our peer reviewed scientific studies and found the technology worked. Again I was merely answering the original posted question. The answer still is - there is a significant difference in straight PCO and how activTek uses PCO.

I get great satisfaction helping people breathe better and live healthier. Through my own personal experiences and those who I have helped I know the technology works. There are some good systems out there but I havent found anything better yet. When I do I will probably recommend it to those I know and love. For now it is activTek - an active solution. Why do you have such a hatred of the product?

What product do you recommend people use to clean the air and surfaces in their home or office environment?

Tell me this - why would a major hospital approach activTek about their "technology" - aren't they super clean environments? I mean they have all that HEPA throughout the building...why would they come knocking on our door? I'll tell you why - because activTek can clean the air and the surfaces - something HEPA cannot do - something every other passive system lacks. You cant get the germs to come to the filter. You have to take the solution to the pollution! Wanna disinfect those curtains in room 306 that have MRSA bacteria on them? Better get activTek cause HEPA wont help. Thats why they came running after last years press release.

I'll have to read some of the other rants for fun.
    Last edited by NatureFreshAir; 01-07-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: wasnt done typing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast