Hybrid View

Anyone know anything about St. Louis??

I have been unemployed in the St. Louis Mo. area for around 9 months now. A month ago I decided to take a chance and attend some schooling at a trade school located in alabama. Now for the previous 10 years of my life I worked in the medical field repairing medical equipment so my mechanical apptitude is excellent along with my troubleshooting skills, this helped out immensely with my schooling and I was kicking all my instructors butts at problem solving. Anyway I have completed my training and I have my EPA 608 certification along with my OSHA training certification. Now my problem lies here with in the great city of St. Louis, it appears that St. Louis is a dying city, some say its the election and some say its the economy. I am desperately seeking a job that can help me start my new career choice, would anyone out there know of someone in the St. Louis area who would be interested in giving a hard working, extremely knowledgeable man a chance??

Quote Originally Posted by Duster 440 View Post
    I have been unemployed in the St. Louis Mo. area for around 9 months now. A month ago I decided to take a chance and attend some schooling at a trade school located in alabama. Now for the previous 10 years of my life I worked in the medical field repairing medical equipment so my mechanical apptitude is excellent along with my troubleshooting skills, this helped out immensely with my schooling and I was kicking all my instructors butts at problem solving. Anyway I have completed my training and I have my EPA 608 certification along with my OSHA training certification. Now my problem lies here with in the great city of St. Louis, it appears that St. Louis is a dying city, some say its the election and some say its the economy. I am desperately seeking a job that can help me start my new career choice, would anyone out there know of someone in the St. Louis area who would be interested in giving a hard working, extremely knowledgeable man a chance??

All that I can say is good luck. I've been done with my schooling for over a year and a half and only received 2 offers. These were hotel maintenance positions that started off at a whole 9 dollars an hour and were over a 40 mile drive. Needless to say, I didn't take either of them. And yes, I am certified in HVAC and I do have an EPA universal certification. I'm sure you will figure out, if you haven't already, these certifications don't mean a damn thing unless you have experience.

The St.louis area sucks. Unless you know someone, which you probably don't since you are from Alabama, you will have a hard time finding employment as a newbie. You wouldn't believe how many hours I've spent looking for work in this field and how many resumes I've sent out, only to receive 2 calls for jobs that I wouldn't even consider.

It's very discouraging to say the least.

St. Louis isn't a dying town it's just saturated with HVAC tech's. And when the economy isn't good neither is job hunting. The Co. I work for is always looking for techs, but that's because there's a lot of travel and high turn over rate. We have cover MO, IL, IN, AR, KS, OK and TN.

BTW I moved from High Ridge. I grew up in Jeff. county. Maybe we'll have to meet up and have a beer next time I'm in St. Louis.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

I agree with chaard, st. louis is not a dying community, i recently graduated from a tech school in st. louis and i'm not having the easiest time finding work either. there are a lot of companies looking, but they all want that experienced guy or it seems like they want you to work for nothing. recently however though, i've been having much better luck with specialized trades within the hvac industry. i've had several interviews in the last few weeks for things like stationary engineering, one for a custom sheet metal shops & for an apprenticeship with smwia. have you considered trying the smwia, ua or operating engineers for apprenticeships, or the multitude of non-union sheet metal shops, maintenance positions, boiler operators things like that. i understand it's not necessarily going to be installs or service work, but there are other trades related to hvac that could allow you to keep earning & learning while you look for other opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by AW62246 View Post
    I agree with chaard, st. louis is not a dying community, i recently graduated from a tech school in st. louis and i'm not having the easiest time finding work either. there are a lot of companies looking, but they all want that experienced guy or it seems like they want you to work for nothing. recently however though, i've been having much better luck with specialized trades within the hvac industry. i've had several interviews in the last few weeks for things like stationary engineering, one for a custom sheet metal shops & for an apprenticeship with smwia. have you considered trying the smwia, ua or operating engineers for apprenticeships, or the multitude of non-union sheet metal shops, maintenance positions, boiler operators things like that. i understand it's not necessarily going to be installs or service work, but there are other trades related to hvac that could allow you to keep earning & learning while you look for other opportunities.

Does "having much better luck" mean that you have found a job? Or does it mean that you are only getting interviews for jobs that you aren't qualified for, or do not want?

If you have a job, or if you got any offers, tell us about them, whether they are good or bad. Starting pay, benefits, hours or whatever else you can think of.

having better luck means i'm getting interviews for good jobs I am qualified for, whereas before i graduated i wasn't even getting that far (or at least i wouldn't have called them interviews). you can't get a job without going on interviews, and with each interview i go on, i get more comfortable in my interviewing skills and more confident in my job search. i know it's just a matter of time before something turns up, it may not be my ideal job, but i'm just getting in the field, i have plenty of time to work towards my "dream job" so to speak. i have been offered two lowball job offers, i just said thanks, but no thanks. you can either be pessimistic, like most of joe cools posts seem to be, or you can be confident that with hard work and determination, something will come your way. My guess would be Joe Cool needs to work on interviewing skills, his resume, job hunting tactics, work history, appearance, or something along those lines, something has to be lacking to not have been able to find a job in that amount of time.