+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best natural gas leak detector?

Post Likes

Best natural gas leak detector?

Hey guys,

What's the best leak detector for natural gas (methane)/propane?

Sensit makes a couple that look top notch. Accutools makes one too and I've had great luck with their tools. This is one area that I haven't had any experience and any feedback would be great. We are looking to invest - I will pay more if I know the tool is reliable.

Post Likes
    Our AccuTools eL-320 will detect less than 50 ppm and runs on a couple of 'AA' batteries. Fully automatic, one button operation, and low cost. I've got a bunch in the field and no angry customers.

You can see it on our site here:

http://www.accutools.com/index.php?p...&subpage=el320

Post Likes
    I love my Bacharach Leakator Jr. Two levels, 20 ppm and 50 ppm, finds very small leaks. Saw them on sale in the Trane flyer not too long ago.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450510262.229592.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  79.4 KB
    There are two ways to do things, Right and Again.

Post Likes
    Sensit are great units, HXG-2d (this is the one I use) and if you're feeling annoyed with that irritating lump in your wallet the HXG-3p is for you (it has a pump).
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Our AccuTools eL-320 will detect less than 50 ppm and runs on a couple of 'AA' batteries. Fully automatic, one button operation, and low cost. I've got a bunch in the field and no angry customers.

You can see it on our site here:

http://www.accutools.com/index.php?p...&subpage=el320
    How long does the sensor last and how much does it cost to replace the sensor?
    -Marty

Post Likes
    All I know is that I have had the good ole TIF8800 for nearly two decades and she just keeps sniffing.

Never played with any other sniffers. Kind of been loyal to mine. I like the way you turn on the TIF8800 and she squeals to life after warming up, then turn her down to a quiet steady tick, when she gets excited and starts screaming again, well you found the spot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    All I know is that I have had the good ole TIF8800 for nearly two decades and she just keeps sniffing.

Never played with any other sniffers. Kind of been loyal to mine. I like the way you turn on the TIF8800 and she squeals to life after warming up, then turn her down to a quiet steady tick, when she gets excited and starts screaming again, well you found the spot.
    Ah ha! I looked for the brand and model we used for a couple of decades. The tif 8800. Very good tool. Don't know if it's still around, or what happened to it.

Sent from my Note3, using, Crapatalk
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    How long does the sensor last and how much does it cost to replace the sensor?

The supplies sensor will likely last you years.

I'll check back at the office on Monday for our current sensor pricing.

Post Likes
    TIF 8800 is the best in my opinion and lasts a very long time..

10. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've used a Gas Mate a couple of times for R290 leaks
    Its listed for 5 ppm
    That's sensitive enough to find every leak I've needed to find so far. Not sure if I'm gonna need to used a trace gas and different detector yet or if the 5ppm is good enough for those small leaks.

12. Likes Mike19 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Still using a 20 year old Tif 8800, has always worked well.

14. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    My problem with the TIF 8800, the batteries are special rechargeable, went through two sets in a few years, won't hold a charge. The first set lasted about five years, second set less than a month.

Post Likes
    That is the main reason I switched from my Tiff to the Sensit with primary batteries. No rechargeable batteries on anything I don't use almost everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by shavedneon View Post
    My problem with the TIF 8800, the batteries are special rechargeable, went through two sets in a few years, won't hold a charge. The first set lasted about five years, second set less than a month.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Just chuck the re-chargeable crap and charger and use your everyday "C" cell batteries. It took me a moment to remember that this originally was suppose to be rechargeable.

Funny thing is that this is the ONLY thing I sill stock "C" batteries for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slctech View Post
    Just chuck the re-chargeable crap and charger and use your everyday "C" cell batteries. It took me a moment to remember that this originally was suppose to be rechargeable.

Funny thing is that this is the ONLY thing I sill stock "C" batteries for.
    Are you sure? Of course you are, or you wouldn't of said it, C batteries is all I need to use the TIF again, I thought I remembered checking when I first got annoyed with the rechargeables, it's been a while, I'm going shopping now. While digging out the newer 9800, I found my much older 8800A, anyone know the age of this one?Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450582290.138653.jpg
Views: 2424
Size:  268.5 KB

Post Likes

Best natural gas leak detector?

Just put C cells in both meters, they both make noise, just not as I remember, but you brought them back to life, I'm glad to have to fallen soldier drawer at times like this, many people would of thrown both of them away.

Post Likes
    While digging out the newer 9800, I found my much older 8800A, anyone know the age of this one?
    The 8900 was developed in 2000. I don't remember if production of the 8800A ceased at the same time.

Post Likes
    oops. No, they still make them at Robinair.

Post Likes
    You need to know what gas your sniffer is calibrated to. For instance, that ubiquitous TIFF 8800a is calibrated to 50 ppm heptane which equates to 500 ppm methane---too high. There are a few sniffers such as the Bacharach Leakator 10 that can sniff 20 ppm methane. Before use test the sensor either at a gas range or use a Sharpie pen. Understand these sniffers respond to several dozen hydrocarbons. You can get false positives from pipe dope, thread cutting oil, greasy finger prints and most soap bubble test solutions. Some types of fiberglass insulation use urea formaldehyde, which will hit positive when damp. I've actually gotten hits off some kids plastic toys. Gas specific sensors and units tend to be rather expensive. Most utilities recognize 20% of the LEL as a legal action level. That equates to about 44,400 ppm methane/ 21,500 ppm propane. Most housewives I've dealt with can detect the odorants at levels equating to around 5 ppm methane/ 2-3 ppm LP so you'll still have to correct these very low level leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. Likes Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have the Accutools eL-320 and it rocks. Small, lightweight, easy to use, and more sensitive then the Bacharach Leakator that it replaced.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in