Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lonwatcher3 & LonMaker

Does anyone have any experience in having Lonwatcher3 and LonMaker, all turbo, operating on the same laptop? I would prefer to keep using Lonwatcher3 for our Distech projects, but the other product only uses LonMaker.

That doesn't make sense because they are both using LNS. (the same engine)

I'd like to know what it is that won't work with Lonwatcher that works with LonMaker...

I have both Lonwatcher3 and Lonmaker on the same PC. It's not an issue at all. Each is simply a user interface to the LNS database. It's kind of like using either Internet Explorer or Firefox to access the internet. The internet remains the same, the user interface is a little different. There is no product that works with Lonmaker that won't work with Lonwatcher. That's one of the beauties of Lonworks.

I have both install on my laptop working together also, I have no issue with either one.
    The only difference is the interface device that you can use to communicate with controllers.
    I use Echelon FT-10 with Lonmaker and a Loytec NIC709-USB100 for Lonwatcher. I have found that these are the best possible product for interface for each program.
    I know that one work with the other but I keep them seperate.

The programs have good function about each one, and when you use them you will find the differences.

Both Sysint & Ctrlguy are on the money about the LNS engie and database.
    I agree with both of them.

Lontshooter

Thanks...

I really appreciate the input. I understand and appreciate the healthy "??", but I wanted some input from techs like you before I jam the two together on multiple laptops. As far as an answer to your "??". I run two crews. One is a straight HVAC/DDC crew which uses Distech Lonwater3 and they love it ( I do to) and are use to navigating it. My other crew is a Phoenix Controls/Laboratory Systems crew. Phoenix uses Lonmaker. For this conversation thats the only thing you can/should use. I am planning to have some of my DDC techs begin taking care of some of our Phoenix work and I want to keep the Systems seperate if you will. It is more of a keeping things the same as much as possible right now.

Thanks again for all of your input.

You should verify with Phoenix whether it's Lonmaker or simply LNS. I think they will tell you LNS. In which case Lonwatcher will work great. I think one guy that posts here uses Circon NI with Phoenix.

I was in Distech classes with technicians working for Phoenix. They obviously have no problem with Lonwatcher.

It does work great.

I was able to get both of them working this week. I did have some problems, but Doug with Echelon was as great help and fixed the problem right away. What was interesting was that I am actually running Lonwatcher3 Turbo and running LonMaker 3.1 ( non Turbo ). I started up a small job this week and everything seems to be operating just fine.

On a side note, Melinda w/Echelon explained to me that a new service pack was coming out this week.. She also explained to me that there is some bug that gives you trouble when you are trying to do a license transfer from one computer to another using a USB port. FYI....

Thanks again for all of your input.....

What was interesting was that I am actually running Lonwatcher3 Turbo and running LonMaker 3.1 ( non Turbo ).
    Well, no you're not. There is only one LNS on your hard drive regardless of what network management software you're running. Lonmaker 3.1 is the version of Lonmaker, not the version of LNS. Once you upgrade to Turbo (LNS 3.2), previous versions are gone and all your databases have to be upgraded to 3.2 if they're not already.

Lonmaker==========
    ================= ==
    Lonwatcher=============== LNS
    ===================
    Network Integrator===

Like what was stated previously. When you load any of the network tools they do at least TWO things - load their software and they also load LNS. Even Lonmaker does this. Each of those software packages USE LNS. That is why you can run them simultaneously on the same network. They all can simultaneously interface with the LNS DB.

So, to say you are running turbo and non-turbo is not happening. You better review what you think you have going on.

This maybe true...I was under the same impression. You have turbo.. you are done; no going back... I asked them if this was even possible due to my need to have LonMaker operate in non turbo so I would work on older jobs and share non turbo databases with my other techs. They told me YES!! So don't kill the messenger!!!! I will put this to the test this week. I will try to load a database I have built on another laptop and see if it will work. I don't know of any other way to test this. If you do..let me know.

Listen, this is easy. Look in your computer under your LNS. If you can find two different versions let me know because that's new to me.

Search for lcaserv -- If you are right you have two in different folders. If you find one everyone else here is correct.

You tell me...............

I have attached a screen shot of the search I did for "lcaserv".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast