Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Confused Trane Voyager cool fail problems

i have been having a problem with a 20 ton trane voyager roof top unit. the unit will trip in cool fail every 4 to 5 days. i have replaced and rewired almost everything.
    i will reset the unit and check the cooling sequence of operation, the pressures, superheat, subcooling, everything checks out. i bypassed all of my safties and the unit still trips cool fail. i have been at this unit during the morning, the afternoon, and the night, it operates smoothly ever time.
    the thermastat wire leading from the thermastat and to the unit is not sheilded. i have spoke with other techs that are trane knowledgebale and am running out of ideas.

Do you have a model and serial #? That will go a long way in helping us help you. Also what type of controls. Tracer, stand alone, Tracker?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis carroll View Post
    i have been having a problem with a 20 ton trane voyager roof top unit. the unit will trip in cool fail every 4 to 5 days. i have replaced and rewired almost everything.
    i will reset the unit and check the cooling sequence of operation, the pressures, superheat, subcooling, everything checks out. i bypassed all of my safties and the unit still trips cool fail. i have been at this unit during the morning, the afternoon, and the night, it operates smoothly ever time.
    the thermastat wire leading from the thermastat and to the unit is not sheilded. i have spoke with other techs that are trane knowledgebale and am running out of ideas.

If you have bypassed all safties and it still "cool fail" LOL on this stupid %$# code from Trane

And you actually read it on the thermostat and the LVTB then replace the board.

If It does nothing at all when you get there and you "assume" cool-fail, then check the economizer plug/board

Welcome to Trane dump-azz work of "cool fail" and "heat fail"

How old is the unit (model & serial # will help). Have there been any electrical problems in the area? Check the voltage into and out of the control power xformer. Then check the supply voltage to the unit. Do they match?
    There have been cases where the xformer is not tapped properly and putting out low voltage, just enough to get by. Then when an electrical problem comes along on the supply side, the voltage drops too low to hold the compressor contactor in and "wahala" a failure.
    Same problem can cause ignition problems on Voyagers - be aware.

I have had the motor protector spades get rusty and loose, they caused a "cool-fail" for me. This kept the unit down though, something to look at

Get the voyager book, it helps a lot lol !!
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

Sig line removed by Admin*

Lets see if this gets removed..............

Unhappy

try unplugging the economizer harness in the blower section. if this solves your problem, then replace both the wiring harness and the economizer board. Trane had a bad batch of economizer boards a few years ago and on their older units the board had an inferior conformal coating that wouldn't last. after you replace the above, be sure to add extra screws and silicone sealer to the economizer access panel. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    Get the voyager book, it helps a lot lol !!

It's called "The Voyage Continues" for the pre-Reliatel control units and "Reliatel Microprocessor Controls" for the Reliatel units.

If you want to order them from Trane, they're about 30 bucks each for the hard copy. If you go here you can download them in PDF for free. Just do a search by name.

Voyager cool fail.

If the baud rate of the thermostat and the main board do not match, you will get an intermittent cool fail. I think it is supposed to be 3300, but don't quote me on that. You should find out what the board is. If it is a programmable stat, you should be able to change that.

does this unit have the optional fan failure switch? if it does bypass it and see if it fails again

agree with superfittertech, would try the economizer module, UEM board, try unplugging the main plug on the board, and then start the unit cooling in test mode. after bypassing safeties and then still having same problem (after swapping UCP boards also) then the economizer module is usually the culprit...

Upgrade

Have you checked the UCP to see if there is a newer revision? might not help but maybe. It will tell you the lastest revision and what issues were corrected. Bad thing is you can't flash it, you have to get the whole board. The last one I bought was over 400 bucks.

I have a lot of information on these micro controls. If you would like to check it out let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast