Trane XL19i - How Hot Should the Air Be

We just had installed over the summer a Trane XL19. It works great in the summer time. Tonight is really the first night that we've had the heat on. We live outside of Philly PA, so the temps tonight are around 40 degrees. We have the heat pump on and I'm noticing that the air coming out of the vents doesn't feel very hot at all, and I'm checking this on the 2nd floor right below the unit. The air handler is installed in the upstairs attic. Our backup heat is baseboard hot water(oil).

So how warm should the air be coming out of the vents? Is there anything that I could check for? What's the lowest outside temperature that this should be running?

If it's maintaining the setpoint the air temp is not relevant.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic379 View Post
    We just had installed over the summer a Trane XL19. It works great in the summer time. Tonight is really the first night that we've had the heat on. We live outside of Philly PA, so the temps tonight are around 40 degrees. We have the heat pump on and I'm noticing that the air coming out of the vents doesn't feel very hot at all, and I'm checking this on the 2nd floor right below the unit. The air handler is installed in the upstairs attic. Our backup heat is baseboard hot water(oil).

So how warm should the air be coming out of the vents? Is there anything that I could check for? What's the lowest outside temperature that this should be running?
    I do not have data for Trane, but Goodman provides outstanding technical data.

Here is data for my 3-ton, R-22, 14 SEER heat pump (your Trane temps should be in the ballpark):

Outdoor------Temp after
    Temp---------indoor coil

60F-----------105.8
    55------------103.7
    50------------101.5
    45------------99.1
    40------------97.1
    35------------95
    30------------93.4
    25------------91.6
    20------------89.9
    15------------88.1
    10------------86.2
    5-------------84.4
    0-------------82.6

The "temp after indoor coil" is based on a 70F room air temperature.

Note that your hand is about 91F, so any temps near or lower than that will feel cooler to your hand.

Good luck.

Ok how about when I have the temp set to 70 degrees and it says that it's currently 64 in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic379 View Post
    Ok how about when I have the temp set to 70 degrees and it says that it's currently 64 in the house?
    You have a problem.

Since your system is less than 1 year-old, everything is still under warranty (including labor). Call the installer back and have him fix it.

Good luck.

The temp coming from a heat pump is about 95 degrees or so...it will not feel hot because our body temp is 98-99 degrees, almost the same, but with the outside temp at 40 it will be a little harder for the heat pump to bring your house up to temp from 64 to 70.. chances are your aux heat is locked out at 40 degrees causing the heat pump to do most of the work. hopefully your tstat is programmed to use the aux heat as back up and not set for you to manually turn it on as emergency heat. you should call the installer back and ask him a few questions about how he set up your tstat. from there you will be able to determine if it is functioning correctly.....G/L