Hi there - we have a 2 story fireplace. The basement has a 50 yr old heatilator. We just had the chimney lined so that we can use the upper fireplace which is an open fireplace.
My question is the heatilator in the basement though - we made a fire tonight, we kept a crack in the glass doors but no heat came back out the vent above the fire or to the sides of the fire. As such I assume the heat just went up and out the chimney. Should there be an internal fan? I cant see either a switch or a fan but online reading makes me think there ought to be one but as the fireplace is 50 years old I dont know - all I know is the heat isnt circulating back into the room.