Carrier Comfort Heat Pump vs. Payne HP with Longer Warranty

I would like advice as to which is the best option for me, given limited options. I live in a condo in suburban MD and I have to replace my 30 year old Bryant Heat Pump, and we can only go with one contractor. He is offering either a 21/2 ton Payne heat pump (I guess the PH4A) with 14 SEER and 7.7 HSPF. It has a ten year warranty on the compressor and (special offer I think) a ten-year warranty on parts. The warranty is non-transferable and I'm not sure I'll be here that long. My other choice is Carrier Comfort heat pump (25HCA330) for the exact same price with the standard 10 year compressor/5 year parts limited warranty (I can't tell if it is transferable). The brochure says "up to 14" SEER and "up to 8.3" HSPF. Either system would be installed with the Carrier FV4BNF002 multispeed air handler, and he throws in a digital thermostat. He also offers a 21/2 ton Carrier base model (25HBA330) for $500 less (5 year warranty and no thermostat), but I think from what I've read I'd be better off staying away from the base models. Which system would be best for me, given these choices? As I said I live in a condo in Suburban MD, and my heating costs are a little higher than my a/c costs. Would that small difference in HSPF make a difference? Is the warranty enough of incentive to go with the Payne? Is there anything else I should consider? I thank you all in advance for your help.

25HCA330 matched with FV4BNF002 is a Comfort 13 Puron, ARI# 1294824, Discontinued.
    30,000 btu cooling, 11.5 EER, 14 SEER, 30,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.2 HSPF, 18,000 btu heating at 17F.

25HBA330 matched with same air handler is a Base 13 Puron, ARI# 1294776, Discontinued.
    Same performance numbers.

The performance numbers are good with the exception of 8.2 HSPF which is weak compared to a 9 HSPF which is excellent.

Need the air handler model number on the Payne to provide more info. If the Payne does have an HSPF of 7.7, I'd skip it and go for the highest HSPF that you can get for low operating costs.

Info from:
    www.AHRIDirectory.org.

Good luck.

He is installing the same Carrier multispeed air handler with both the Payne and the Carrier heat pumps. Is that a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by McOctopus View Post
    He is installing the same Carrier multispeed air handler with both the Payne and the Carrier heat pumps. Is that a problem?
    That air handler is not rated with the 14 SEER Payne heat pump condenser. Ask him for the ARI Reference#.

If the numbers are the exact same thing for both the base and the Comfort models, should I be considering the base model. A lot of replies in this forum seem to indicate that the base model isn't made as well. Correct?

Looks like the best air handler match for the Payne is:

PF4MNA031
    29,400 btu cooling, 11.5 EER, 14 SEER, 30,000 btu heating at 47F, 8.2 HSPF, 18,300 btu heating at 17F

You may have a physical size restriction on the indoor air handler.

There is a size restriction on the air handler, which is why he uses that one model.

If the numbers are the exact same thing for both the base and the Comfort models, should I be considering the base model. A lot of replies in this forum seem to indicate that the base model isn't made as well. Correct?
    Usually there are some improvements to the next model in the line-up: it may be quieter, or have some other additional features. Sometimes it's just a different looking appearance. In general, I would go for the next model in the line-up versus the base model if the performance is the same and pricing between them is negligable.

There is a size restriction on the air handler, which is why he uses that one model.
    If its not a rated match, you can't be sure of the performance numbers. It may get rated at a later time, but you never know.

He needs to check the dimensions on the Payne matching air handlers. There are several matches for the 2 1/2 ton size. I chose one of the better performing air handlers.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ask about Carrier's National Promo,very low cost(prices not allowed here), to add the 6th thru 10th year parts warranty to the Comfort series.

He may have to ask his distributor ,if he's not aware of this.