Exclamation HELP! HORRIBLE fireplace odor

WE HAVE A KOZY HEAT WOOD FIREPLACE AND IT IS 4 YEARS OLD. WE HAVE BEEN USING IT A LOT THIS FALL TO SAVE ON PROPANE, tONIGHT WE HAVE A HORRIFIC ODOR IN OUR ENTIRE HOUSE. IT'S 1:00AM AND I AM UP TAKING ADVIL FOR THE HEADACHE AND TRYING TO GET OVER THE NAUSEA FROM THE SMELL. THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE AND WE WERE TOLD TI WAS THE PAINT GETTING HOT DUE TO THE NEWNESS OF THE FIREPLACE. DOES ANYONE KOW WHAT TO DO???? I HAVE TWO SMALL CHILDREN AND I AM CONCERNED FOR THEM. I WOKE MY HUSBAND UP AND HE SAID IT WASN'T BOTHERING HIM.

Is the damper in the chimney open? If it is then you have some other issue like having a negative pressure in the house or the chimney is back drafting, isn't designed correctly, or isn't tall enough. Don't ignore this! You are in harms way. Carbon Monoxide kills many each year.
    Last edited by air2spare; 10-28-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Exclamation heed the warning signs!

Quit using this fireplace until you can get a pro in there to inspect it and test for proper operation. You may have combustibles inside the chase in contact with hot surfaces as well as smoke spillage and CO. After 4 yrs., I would expect the paint to be cooked off. You could be experiencing draft issues that can vary under a range of circumstances.

Install a low level unlisted CO monitor outside the bedrooms. If it goes off, get everyone out and call the cavalry from next door.

Too Hot!

apparently our fires have been too hot. My husband has not closed the damper or worked with the air. It has been wide open. Does it sound like that could be the problem??

Is this a fireplace designed for heating a house? Or is it an open face fireplace.

If it has a sealed up door system it may be designed as a heater.

If you have had the air controls wide open you could be over firing it.

You should have a pro come inspect everything and show you how it is operated safely.

dont know what part of the country your in but down in the south with cool nights and warm days fireplaces tend to even if your not using them. hickory wood burned in an open fireplace tends to smell the worst when this happens.
    Two Hydrogen atoms met one day. One said to the other "I've lost my electron". The second said "Are you sure?" The first said "Yes, I'm positive".