Perfect Blue Flame for Propane

Perfect Blue Flame for Propane

fired furnaces.

As most of y'all know I had some issues w/my 15 y/o furnace. Today, I opened the outside to let in fresh(cold) air, removed the furnace service door, and turned it on to observe the flame. I can post pix if needed.

1) Flame wasn't blown about and nearly flattened after blower kicked in
    2) Flame pop up quickly, no lagging
    3) Flame was not totally blue, in fact the burner row on the return side were 1/2 orange 1/2 the other 2 burners were about 1/4 orange and 3/4 blue.

I observed about 5 min w/blower on, clicked it off and it flamed off w/out a problem and blower quit about 2 min later.

Should I be expecting a totally blue flame or is that just w/NG?

The only thing looking at flame color can really tell you is if the burner is lit.

Be careful using flame color to determine if equipment is burning properly, the only way you can make sure it's safe is through combustion testing.

I've tested blue flames putting out in excess of 1000 PPM many times while I've found yellow tipped flames burning great.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Thank you David

Quote Originally Posted by davidr View Post
    The only thing looking at flame color can really tell you is if the burner is lit.

Be careful using flame color to determine if equipment is burning properly, the only way you can make sure it's safe is through combustion testing.

I've tested blue flames putting out in excess of 1000 PPM many times while I've found yellow tipped flames burning great.
    Perhaps its not quite as bad as I thought