Arrow Furnace full of water

My brother turned on his furnace this year to hear a loud horrible sound (like blades of a fan hitting something soft). He called an HVAC guy who found water in it. Sure enough, he drilled a hole in something and water came rushing out. Water is gone... sound remains.

The HVAC technician said that the furnace is likely toast. I know virtually nothing about HVAC in homes but I'm mechanically inclined (build race cars, home remodeling). I've read on this forum to pick a quality company (get other bids) and trust that they will do a good job. Unfortunately, this expense has come with poor timing and my brother has asked me to explore other options.

My question for the community is... is it possible for a mechanically inclined person to R&I a new furnace to save him a few bucks? And if so, where do you recommend I source a furnace?

I have sympathy for you and your brother, however, did you read the rules when you signed up to post?

If not, maybe you should go do that now.

This is not a site for do-it-yourselfers.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

It's unlikely that the furnace is toast just because there was water in the draft inducer. Call another company to take a look at it, more than likely a drain line was clogged causing water to collect in the inducer motor.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Where did he mention the draft inducer?

He didn't. He wants to install a new furnace himself and is asking where to obtain it.

At least, that's what I read
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

furnace full of water

You stated that the furnace was fullof water sounds like to me your fan is the one that has water in it the ac probably froze up coil must be on top of furnance and blower . Just because your furnance got alittle water in it does not mean it is toast ,Find out where the water came from address that problem then turn blower on let it run this should dry the furnance out .

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    Where did he mention the draft inducer?

He didn't. He wants to install a new furnace himself and is asking where to obtain it.

At least, that's what I read
    Maybe I read more into than you did................... Plus I haven't seen to many furnaces hold water in the blower compartment. I wasn't offering him any help installing or finding a new furnace.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Franker,

Ther best advice these days we can give you is this. If you need a new furnace, call a licensed heating contractor to install it. If you are unsatisfied with the diagnosis with your current furnace, call and get a second opinion from another contractor.

I will be closing this thread, if you decide to have a contractor replace your equipment and want our opinion of what to buy etc, without pricing questions, please feel free to roll back in here and ask away. For now this thread has too much propensity to become a DIY help thread.

Thanks!

Bob